Canon G9X review..

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
this is a very small pocketable camera with a 1 inch sensor.. i missed having a point and shoot that took nice photos.. i sold my canon G16 and kind of missed it. it was a little on the large size for putting in your pocket but it would fit in your pocket.. this is much easier to pocket and takes nice photos.. low light video also looks pretty good out of this camera, video in good lighting looks great..

here are some photos from this camera all in low light and a few buildings i shot on a dreary day.. i will post some video clips from this camera as well..

these images were shot raw, there is very little editing to these photos.. just some minor exposure adjustments and what not.. the photos i took of my self the white balance was a bit off so i did change the white balance.. i was looking kind of on the orange side.. in that room most cameras seem to do that using auto white balance, guess its the type of light bulb that is in that room..

over all i think this is a excellent little camera.. not bad in low light.

its about the same size as your average small point and shoot camera.. its actually a little smaller than my canon SX230

if you are looking for a small pocket camera that takes very good photos and video this is something to look at.. i looked at many photos on flickr taken with this camera, i also looked at many photos taken with the nikon coolpix A which is actually a DX point and shoot camera that can fit in your pocket. and i liked what i saw from this camera better plus this is a bit smaller and less expensive.. so i went with this.. i am extremely happy with it for what it is.. a throw in your pocket and take anywhere camera with great IQ for being so small..

20160503-IMG_0045.jpg

20160503-IMG_0049.jpg

20160503-IMG_0051.jpg

20160504-IMG_0110-2.jpg

20160504-IMG_0110-3.jpg

20160512-IMG_0120.jpg

20160512-IMG_0122.jpg

20160512-IMG_0123.jpg

20160512-IMG_0124.jpg

20160512-IMG_0125.jpg

20160512-IMG_0127.jpg
20160512-IMG_0130.jpg
20160512-IMG_0131.jpg

Last edited:
here are a few video clips. right out of the camera and uploaded to youtube.. youtube kills some of the quality so they do not look as good as watching the origional file on my computer..

Yeah, I've been looking at that. I have a G11, which takes very nice pictures. This would have to be even better. The G11 is pocketable, but not that comfortable in a pants pocket, although I have done it. Has the G9X reached the point where the price has leveled off?

Thanks for the info, good stuff. Ummm, now get them dishes done before the wife gets home.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've been looking at that. I have a G11, which takes very nice pictures. This would have to be even better. The G11 is pocketable, but not that comfortable in a pants pocket, although I have done it. Has the G9X reached the point where the price has leveled off?

not sure what these used to cost, i would not say it was inexpensive but its not too terribly bad.

yeah same with my g16 it was not that comfy in your pocket, i would say the photos are every bit as good if not better, the video quality is better IMO, i like the touch screen, when shooting in manual mode i just tap what i want to adjust and slide the slider. or i can set one of the settings to the ring on the front of the camera, i would usually set that to exposure comp so if i do not like the exposure i get i can just turn the ring to adjust it. in manual mode the default is auto ISO which is what i usually use any ways so when i use the exposure comp its adjusting the iso and my aperture and shutter speed stay where i want them.

so image and video quality is very good for such a small camera, its easy to use in manual mode with the touch screen, photos seem to be nice and sharp.. seems to do pretty descent in low light.. it shoots raw. it seems to focus quickly even in low light..

there are definitely a few better or comparable point and shoot cameras out there but most of them are all bigger and not as easy or comfy to fit in your pocket

I've been eyeing the Sony RX100 mk4 in the same class of cameras. I also really want the LX100 from Panasonic.

I've been eyeing the Sony RX100 mk4 in the same class of cameras. I also really want the LX100 from Panasonic.
The Canon was a good deal less expensive and seems to be a better camera from all the reviews I have read. I was kind of watching for the Sony my self but I was not gonna pay that much for a point and shoot. I think the Canon was smaller than the others too if I remember correctly

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I picked up the Panasonic DMC LX7 24-90 f/1.4-2.3 Leica but it only has a 1/1.7 10MP but the IQ that comes out for such a small sensor is incredible even indoors look very good and the Auto White balance is spot on. I got it when B&H had a blow out sale. I can only image how good the 1 inch sensor is.

I tried my hand with a sony similar camera and hated it.Buttons where ridiculously small,hard to get a good grip on it,exposure was all over the place and the white balances sucked.I returned with in a week and get the panny that Blows the comparable sony out of the water In every way including build quality.

Last edited:
The Canon was a good deal less expensive and seems to be a better camera from all the reviews I have read. I was kind of watching for the Sony my self but I was not gonna pay that much for a point and shoot. I think the Canon was smaller than the others too if I remember correctly

the G9X i admit is tempting but the slow lens puts me off. I'm gonna wait to see if I can get a good deal on the Nikon DL 24-85
Right now, I'm making do with a little Olympus TG4.

the G9X i admit is tempting but the slow lens puts me off. I'm gonna wait to see if I can get a good deal on the Nikon DL 24-85
Right now, I'm making do with a little Olympus TG4.

it would be nice if it were faster on the long end but f/4 is not all that bad but i figure most shooting indoors i probably wont be zoomed in that much anyways so ill usually be around f/2 most of the time when in lower light.. but it seems to be descent for indoor shooting at f/4 too.

that nikon looks nice. that flip screen would sure be nice to have though. the faster lens on the long end would be nice. 4k video does not really interest me. looks like it has a hot shoe mount which would be cool. more than i would want to spend though.. if you can find a deal on it that does look like it might the one to get if its in your budget but being that its brand new and not out yet its hard to say..

Most reactions

Back