Canon Glass vs. Nikon Glass

IDLaxStar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I have heard from multiple people that Canon glass is generally cheaper then Nikon glass but the same quality. Is there any truth here?

OH NOES...

Uh...oh....but, to add something here...has anybody noticed that Canon, and Sigma have recently started pricing significantly higher than they used to??? I mean, look at what Sigma has done with its 70-200 f/2.8 lenses...they used to be at $799 retail...now they have jacked that price up to some ridiculous list price, like $2199 or something, and are getting like $1600 for it at actual retail!!! Meanwhile, Tamron's 70-200 f/2.8 lens is in the $800 price range, more or less...it seems like Canon and Sigma are raising the stakes on us...

Conversely, there is also now a move underway to make really quite low-cost kit zooms, like 55-200 and 18-55 lenses and 70-300 lenses that cost less than such lenses used to cost, even a few years ago. The quality of the lower-priced lenses is better now than it was in the 1970's, in my opinion. it used to be almost impossible to make a good 4x ratio zoom....but now all the makers can crank out pretty doggone good lenses for relatively low amounts of money--if they want to play in a particular segment.

The 18-105mm kit zoom for example--surprisingly sharp and good, for such a wide-ranging ratio of focal lengths, from wide-view to telephoto....light,and affordable(ish).

So I have heard from multiple people that Canon glass is generally cheaper then Nikon glass but the same quality. Is there any truth here?

I now present to you the only thing Canon can do that Nikon can't (at least straight out of the box with lenses - there are of course ways to get similar and better quality shots with various alternate setups - like microscope elements, reverse mounting and diopters)

4344779826_cee2528eee_z.jpg

Otherwise when it comes to comparing the systems it is a case of splitting hairs on quality and on mix/matching specific lenses to ones needs.

And yes Canon and Sigma have been boosting prices a lot recently. Partly this is through the financial downturn, but I also think that in the case of sigma they are now making a serious push into the pro market or at least the semi-pro market with their gear/

I now present to you the only thing Canon can do that Nikon can't (at least straight out of the box with lenses - there are of course ways to get similar and better quality shots with various alternate setups - like microscope elements, reverse mounting and diopters)

Well theres at least one more thing...

That is shooting with the 85 1.2 wide open, and having like 99% of the shot out of focus lol. :lol:

Please explain more about what that photo is, and what lens it was. Great pic by the way, very unique. :thumbup:

I dont really know what you are talking about here though lol...

:raisedbrow: You can't shoot albino termites with Nikon glass? What am I missing?

:raisedbrow: You can't shoot albino termites with Nikon glass? What am I missing?
Please explain more about what that photo is, and what lens it was. Great pic by the way, very unique. :thumbup:
A 1:5 macro ratio?
5:1 ;)

It's a springtail - for an idea its something like 2mm long at the most - taken with the Canon MPE65mm macro. I'm quite serious as well its the only truly unique lens in the canon/nikon lineup. Each company has their own unique lenses, eg canons 100-400mm and nikons 200-400mm but each company can cover the same subjects/situations as the other. Clearly dedicated enthusiasts with clear and select interests might favour one company over the other because of specific lenses.
However the MPE is the only 1:1 to 5:1 macro "zoom" lens on the market - though as I said there are other ways to get to 5:1 and some of them are actually better (image quality wise) than the MPE

Uh...oh....but, to add something here...has anybody noticed that Canon, and Sigma have recently started pricing significantly higher than they used to??? I mean, look at what Sigma has done with its 70-200 f/2.8 lenses...they used to be at $799 retail...now they have jacked that price up to some ridiculous list price, like $2199 or something, and are getting like $1600 for it at actual retail!!! Meanwhile, Tamron's 70-200 f/2.8 lens is in the $800 price range, more or less...it seems like Canon and Sigma are raising the stakes on us...

Conversely, there is also now a move underway to make really quite low-cost kit zooms, like 55-200 and 18-55 lenses and 70-300 lenses that cost less than such lenses used to cost, even a few years ago. The quality of the lower-priced lenses is better now than it was in the 1970's, in my opinion. it used to be almost impossible to make a good 4x ratio zoom....but now all the makers can crank out pretty doggone good lenses for relatively low amounts of money--if they want to play in a particular segment.

The 18-105mm kit zoom for example--surprisingly sharp and good, for such a wide-ranging ratio of focal lengths, from wide-view to telephoto....light,and affordable(ish).
Yes, its pissing me off -.-
canon's 70-200mm F/2.8 IS used to be $1600 now its $1900?
I bought my canon 50mm F/1.4 for $300, its now $350
They both increased by a fixed % (or near fixed lol)

I think it's safe to say that the Japanese lens makers have a real "Yen" for American dollars. And European Euros. And British Pounds Sterling.

Yah everything from canon, sigma and nikon took around a 20%+ (or now I think on it was it 40 - some big number) price hike about half a year after the recession kicked in. In the case of canon and nikon this was a few 10% price increases (excluding canons new pricing on new M2 released lenses) whilst sigma did it in one big price jump.

A 1:5 macro ratio?
5:1 ;)

It's a springtail - for an idea its something like 2mm long at the most - taken with the Canon MPE65mm macro. I'm quite serious as well its the only truly unique lens in the canon/nikon lineup. Each company has their own unique lenses, eg canons 100-400mm and nikons 200-400mm but each company can cover the same subjects/situations as the other. Clearly dedicated enthusiasts with clear and select interests might favour one company over the other because of specific lenses.
However the MPE is the only 1:1 to 5:1 macro "zoom" lens on the market - though as I said there are other ways to get to 5:1 and some of them are actually better (image quality wise) than the MPE

Does Nikon have an 800mm don't think they do not new anyway

Most reactions

Back