Canon kit lens vs. EF-S 15-85mm

splproductions

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My dad is looking to upgrade from his kit lens (the 18-55 IS II), but he isn't really willing to spend a whole lot of money. I think $600 is about his limit (and he is willing to buy used).

He'd like to pick up a little more on the wide-end if possible, but if the image quality isn't any better he'd rather just stick with the kit lens. I know that the IQ of the Mark II version of the 18-55 is pretty good (considering it's a kit lens). Does anyone have any experience with the 15-85mm? Would this be an upgrade in terms of IQ?

Thanks!

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 w/ VC would be a good option to look at. Unless 15-85 is the range he wants otherwise I would save just a bit more and go with the EF 24-105 f/4L used for about 700-800.

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 w/ VC would be a good option to look at.

Yeah - I was thinking I'd turn him on to that Tamron, but I just read the review of it at The Digital Picture and it kind of turned me off. Didn't seem like that great of a lens, although the review might have been discussing the IQ in terms of high-end lenses. It didn't mention how it compared to the Canon kit lens.

Unless 15-85 is the range he wants otherwise I would save just a bit more and go with the EF 24-105 f/4L used for about 700-800.

Here's the frustrating thing with my dad... he has the money for a 24-70 2.8II. But this is just a hobby for him, and my mom won't let him drop tons of money on toys. So I think he's pretty much limited to buying used and spending around $600-700.

Most reactions

Back