canon L series 70-200 f4 USM versus 70-200 IS f4 USM

I have the 70-200mm f/4 IS version. Killer quality image. IS is not an issue if you have a high shutter speed (ie, ^1/320 sec). Below that, especially at the 200 mm end, without IS, handshake starts appearing at about 1/250 in my case. With IS on, I can shoot down to 1/30 sec, if I'm very careful and to all the things one does to minimize camera shake. When I was buying the lens, it was looking at the f/2.8 version vs. f/4 with IS. While the f2.8 version is one stop faster than the f/4 version, the 3-4 stops extra I get with IS made it very attractive. Now I'd really love the get the new 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, but I don't have the pocket change to swing that.

I have the 70-200mm f/4 IS version. Killer quality image. IS is not an issue if you have a high shutter speed (ie, ^1/320 sec). Below that, especially at the 200 mm end, without IS, handshake starts appearing at about 1/250 in my case. With IS on, I can shoot down to 1/30 sec, if I'm very careful and to all the things one does to minimize camera shake. When I was buying the lens, it was looking at the f/2.8 version vs. f/4 with IS. While the f2.8 version is one stop faster than the f/4 version, the 3-4 stops extra I get with IS made it very attractive. Now I'd really love the get the new 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II, but I don't have the pocket change to swing that.

i wish i could call that "pocket change!" its more like pocket small fortune!

Most reactions

Back