Canon "L" Series Under $1,000?

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a little research of my own. I found 3 lenses that seem to be under $1,000.
Only 3, are there anymore?

Canon

EF 135mm f/2L USM $900
EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM $660
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM $580

I am kinda looking forward to get the 70-200. Anyways, anymore that I missed?

I did a little research of my own. I found 3 lenses that seem to be under $1,000.
Only 3, are there anymore?

Canon

EF 135mm f/2L USM $900
EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM $660
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM $580

I am kinda looking forward to get the 70-200. Anyways, anymore that I missed?

Do you need the L for a scrabble game?
Odd to be looking for a lens by its quality or cost, and not by its focal range and your needs.

Anyways, there's also the 17-40 f4.

You can oftentimes find the 24-70 f/2.8 and the 24-105 f/4 for under $1000. I just recently sold my 24-105 f/4 for $850 on craigslist.

I am seeing what available L lenses there are and seeing if any fit my needs.

not sure about the price of the 17-40, but it is a nice lens, and might be below 1000 USD

I just bought the 17-40 from Tri-State Camera (via Amazon) for $629. I found a mint example on Craigslist (that I didn't see but for a photo - sold before I could get it) for $600. It's fairly well though-of among wedding photographers.

Do you need the L for a scrabble game?
Odd to be looking for a lens by its quality or cost, and not by its focal range and your needs.

Anyways, there's also the 17-40 f4.

ABSOLUTELY right!

If the OP is buying an Canon L simply based on cost, then they have completely lost their direction in photography. It is hopeless...

The fav of mine in the group is the 135L.

You'd be happier examining your needs and buying a good decent (not necessarily L) lenses that fit your needs. You can buy a 24 (or 35), 50, 85(or 100) non L primes and be far on your way to shooting wonderful photos.

ABSOLUTELY right!

If the OP is buying an Canon L simply based on cost, then they have completely lost their direction in photography. It is hopeless...

The fav of mine in the group is the 135L.

You'd be happier examining your needs and buying a good decent (not necessarily L) lenses that fit your needs. You can buy a 24 (or 35), 50, 85(or 100) non L primes and be far on your way to shooting wonderful photos.

Well if you read my response...

I am seeing what available L lenses there are and seeing if any fit my needs.

You would see I am looking at the available options and if any overlap in my criteria, why not get it?

I am looking for a lens that fits me needs. The best one that is within my range. It would be easier if you simply answered the question instead of having me explain my reasoning for the question i have asked. It just takes a lot longer to explain to people like you why I ask questions.

I am looking for a lens that fits me needs.

But that's exactly my point, your post doesn't specify your needs at all... just a dollar budget and that you want "L". Both of which will serve you little without a specific defined purpose.

At this point, the only conclusion one can make is that you simply want an "L" lens to show off..... which again leads me to my original comment.

What are you going to do if the lens that best serves you in that price range isn't an "L" lens? not consider it?

For example....

You are far better off as a low light wedding photographer to shoot with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 than the Canon 70-200 f4L. What are you gonna do now? Pass up the Sigma simply because it isn't white with a red ring???

That is because im not asking you to provide lenses for my needs. That is going to be me decision and I have decided not to ask that.

Edit: Anyways your not helping me so why bother posting at all? You dont know me and you dont know what im thinking. Dont speak for me because i never said some of that and you are assuming I want this or that blah blah blah.

Adorama's website will allow you search for Canon lenses and sort by price. That will give you all the lenses in the price range... including the wonderful EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back