TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.elizabethpagewalker.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone,

Just so everyone knows, I'm pretty new to this business thing. I usually shoot subjects for free. I recently decided to start making some profit off my hard work.

I have 3 upcoming gigs this month. One is coming up (2 days from now!) and is a portrait/headshot session with a girl for $75. The location is about 5 miles away from where I am. I currently own a 50mm f/1.8 and a 24mm f/2.8 with a Canon 60D body. I also have an 18-55mm but it's ****. Do you think I need to rent out anything for this gig? She just wants photos of her face for an acting portfolio.

The second gig is an 50th anniversary event, I'm most nervous about this one because it's inside a church at 2pm. They're going to be renewing their wedding vows, so it's very important I capture it. I'm thinking a nice zoom lens would be good for this occasion. But I need one relatively simple to use, since I'm so used to my 24 and 50. Yet.. I want very high quality images.

The third gig is another wedding. I definitely need a back-up body for this. I'm thinking of renting out the Canon 5D Mark III for a week and getting used to it before I go into the wedding, that and some nice zoom lenses.

What do you guys think?

Thanks! Also, if you guys want to see my portfolio it's at elizabethpagewalker.. It's kind of pitiful though, don't laugh.

I have 3 upcoming gigs this month. One is coming up (2 days from now!) and is a portrait/headshot session with a girl for $75. The location is about 5 miles away from where I am. I currently own a 50mm f/1.8 and a 24mm f/2.8 with a Canon 60D body. I also have an 18-55mm but it's ****. Do you think I need to rent out anything for this gig? She just wants photos of her face for an acting portfolio.

No; use the 18-55 at ~40mm, f5.6. you need a flash (tilt head). Window light + flash.

For the headshot gig, I'd say you're cutting it a bit close for rentals at this point. I would focus on making sure you have a proper backdrop and lighting for what the client expects. You should be able to run with your 50 and get what you need for the price they're paying.

For the anniversary at the church, you may want to rent a 70-200 2.8L. You're going to need to be back out of the way and (typically) churches are pretty low-light. Camera flash is usually not permitted. The lens should enable you to grab some great shots.

When it comes to the wedding, remember that you have two different venues- the church and the reception. The church will be similar to the job above but you will also need to grab some shots before and after the ceremony. Candids beforehand, the ceremony, and portraits before the reception. Plan on grabbing at least (in my opinion) a decent speedlite that you can angle for some indirect flash (if possible) for the reception as people are typically moving around a bit (once the alcohol takes hold) and light can be sparse.

You're biting off quite a bit. Be sure to do your homework and do some dry runs on site if you need. The event is not the time for experimentation. Best of luck. :)

The quality of the out of focus blur on the 50mm f/1.8 is poor and considerably better on the 50mm f/1.4. While you *might* be able to rent a 50mm f/1.4 and get it in time... if you think you're going to make a practice of charging for photography you're going to need to invest in better glass.

So I'd suggest buying a 50mm f/1.4 and also acquire an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (and yes, I know they aren't cheap... but when people are paying for the images... you probably shouldn't be using budget glass.)

The two "bread-n-butter" lenses that nearly every pro has in their bag are the 24-70mm f/2.8L and the 70-200mm f/2.8L. In fact.... on the Nikon side they have their equivalent lenses and it's pretty much the same two focal length lenses that are the most commonly carried. With a crop-body, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM would also be a very good lens to own instead of the 24-70mm (which is better for a full-frame body.)

for weddings, we use a 17-55 f/2.8 and 70-200 f/2.8 the most.
for portraits, either the 50mm f/1.4 or 85mm, depending on how much room we have.
just remember that for church weddings, flash is almost always not allowed during the ceremony. afterwards, for the formals and candid shots, flash away!

for indoors where we use flash (inside formals and reception) I prefer a flash (i use a flash bracket, tho most dont anymore) with a Rogue Flashbender.
it acts as a large bounce card and can also be rolled into a snoot. I also have a few small softboxes that go on an on camera speedlight for outdoors or where i want more directional light.

For the portrait shoot just stick with what you have. It will work.

For the weddings and stuff rent a 70-200 2.8 L like everyone has said and also a 24-70 2.8 L. You might want something wide also for a wedding like a 16-35 2.8L so you can get some table shots. Just a though. IMO any wedding photographer should have a 70-200 and a 24-70 in their bag.

I totally agree you should look into a full frame camera for all 3 shoots. I also agree you should look at using "L" quality glass for all 3 shoots as well. I think as a professional, you should look at lenses that have IS, or with Tamron VC. I use a Tamron SP 24-70mm f2.8 VC USD lens for my wide shots, and some portraits, and a Canon EF 70-200mm f4 IS USM for outdoor, and high ISO shots indoors. You may want to invest in a Yongnuo off camera flash, with a trigger. I personally think you are biting off quite a hunk for these two venues considering your equipment. I did view your images, and I think you need a quick lesson on posing your subjects. Some of your photos could be cropped more to get rid of distracting backgrounds. On the head shot job coming up, you need a way to get the model off the background, a good key light, to remove any background, and one or two soft boxes to change the light patterns on the models face, keep in mind the subject is the thing on this shoot, no bokah. Be prepared to shoot over 100 shots with different light modes. You may only keep 10%. At the wedding use reflectors if possible, I've never had one objection to reflectors. You may need a assistant to hold the reflectors for you, so be prepared. Test everything before you leave home, and be sure all your batteries have a full charge. Good Luck

Most reactions

Back