Canon Lens Needs Lube?

MadisonWI

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Sorry if there are previous posts about this but I checked as best I could ...

I have a question about a Canon 28mm FD Lens I bought off Ebay awhile ago for my AE-1. I got a great deal, the lens surfaces look great, and it takes excellent pictures. The problem is that focusing the lens is pretty rough. It is in desperate need of lube, and the extreme smoothness of my 50mm lens makes it all the more annoying.

Question is, what should I do? I have a good camera repair company somewhat nearby, but from what I've read online, a cleaning and/or lube can cost a LOT of money. Given that the lens was only about 20 bucks and I have a limited budget, an expensive CLA service seems silly.

Is there any possible way for a novice camera tinkerer like me to dissasemble and lube the lens myself? I don't even know what lube would be appropriate.

If neither option is resonable, is there a chance I will damage the lens through continued use with the un-smooth focus?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

A CLA will cost more than the lens cost you. I think you just need to get used to it. Will it hurt the lens? Probably not. Given the price of the lens I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Just go shoot.

Most reactions

Back