Canon lens querie?

jemmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
:heart: Hi all, i have a canon 350D with the twin lens kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5/6 and 75-300mm f/4-5.6.... have heard great things about the canon 50mm f/2.8 and the 50mm f/1.4... sharp etc..... priced these the other day f/2.8 = $170aus and the f/1.4 = $670aus... just wondering if anyone knows just how much better the f/1.4 is and why? bit of a price difference so i'm thinking it must be way better? also any info (inc $) on the 85mm f/2.8? lens would be much appreciated xx thanks

jemmy said:
:heart: Hi all, i have a canon 350D with the twin lens kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5/6 and 75-300mm f/4-5.6.... have heard great things about the canon 50mm f/2.8 and the 50mm f/1.4... sharp etc..... priced these the other day f/2.8 = $170aus and the f/1.4 = $670aus... just wondering if anyone knows just how much better the f/1.4 is and why? bit of a price difference so i'm thinking it must be way better? also any info (inc $) on the 85mm f/2.8? lens would be much appreciated xx thanks

Just 1 stop faster, I think. People have made comparison between the two lenses, and there wasn't much difference. It's F/1.8 btw - I own the lense. The 1.6 conversion factor is a bit annoying (so you're looking at a prime telephoto 80mm lense on your XT), but it gets the job done in low-light situation.

You can get in from BHPhotoVideo for about 100AU$ (rough calculation) minus GST and air fare, so if there's anything else you would like, budget permitting, get it from the US. I did it when the NZD was riding a wee high last year. The people at BH Photo video can do a quote and you can cancel your order if you're not happy. Just watch out for those damn GST though. :D

I've just purchased the 1.8 and although not had a chance to give it much of a test, it is highly regarded as being the sharpest for the price....I think it's a no brainer as even if you aren't happy (very unlikely) it has a good resale value....so can't loose really.
HTH.
Ken.

^yep. the 1.4 is better, but IMO you won't notice the difference. you should be quite happy with the 50mm f/1.8 (i think you were mistaken, there isn't a 50mm 2.8 from canon), and it is cheaper than the f/1.4 version. if you like doing alot of headshots, check out the 85mm 1.8. It has a more flattened perspective which is flattering for headshots and individual portraits. It is slightly more expensive than the 50mm f/1.4 but is also slightly better than both the 50mm lenses.

cool thanks all... yep, just looked again today and realized it was 1.8...sorryxx think the 85mm 1.8 would be more my style as i'm obsessed with portraiture and into head shots massively! but the price tag just doesnt suit at the moment ( bumma! ) Thanks everyone xx

Most reactions

New Topics

Back