Canon lens recomendation

Tmckinney

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am wanting to get a better lens for outside portraits. I enjoy taking pictures of children and with the way children just don't care that there is a camera looking at them. Right now I am using a fixed 50 mm lens. I find myself missing some shots because it is fixed. However, I do not make money with my photography right now as I am working on being a better photographer. I need a zoom lens recommendation that will help me get wider shots and tighter shots without the constant re positioning that my fixed lens creates and something that will not break me at the same time. I have a canon T5i.

Wider and tighter for portraits. You usually want a fast aperture also. Most standard zooms for your camera will start about 17 or 18mm and top out at 50 or 55mm (at least fast zooms).

You don't mention a budget, or what other lenses you have. Canons own 17-55mm f2.8 is nice, but it's expensive and doesn't really get you tighter than your 50mm, sigma do a similar 17-50 f2.8 OS, but it's similar in that it doesn't go any longer.

I'd look at maybe a Tamron 24-70 f2.8. It is quite expensive though so maybe outside your budget,it's also more or less designed for full frame cameras. Another option would be a sigma 17-70 f2.8/4 contemporary. It doesn't have f2.8 the whole focal length (which I think is more important on a crop than a full frame camera) but it goes wide and long, is reasonable fast and gets well reviewed, I think it's about 400 dollars ish price wise

I second the Sigma 17-70 recommendation. It's become my go-to lens for taking pictures of my family indoors, even though I have 24 and 50mm primes, although I do end up using flash much of the time. Outdoors, you should be good to go.

So I am wanting to get a better lens for outside portraits. I enjoy taking pictures of children and with the way children just don't care that there is a camera looking at them. Right now I am using a fixed 50 mm lens. I find myself missing some shots because it is fixed. However, I do not make money with my photography right now as I am working on being a better photographer. I need a zoom lens recommendation that will help me get wider shots and tighter shots without the constant re positioning that my fixed lens creates and something that will not break me at the same time. I have a canon T5i.

for portraits a "fixed" lens (large aperture prime) is better than a zoom
but if "re positioning" is a problem then look at the Canon 15-85, it's pretty good

Personally I think the EF 85 mm 1.8 is a hell of a lens

Most reactions

Back