Canon lens recommendation

sincere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So this guy recommended me a EF 85mm 1:1.2, wich is like 2 Gs. I also see a EF 85mm 1:1.8 for like 450$. Is the difference so big? What would you recommend me besides like a 50mm 1.8 or 1.4?

the question is, what would you want to do with the lenses?

potrait?

indoor, outdoor, studiowork, available light...

Wir brauchen mehr Details :p

It would be hard to make a recommendation without a little more information. What are your needs for a new lens? What situations do you envision using a new lens in?

The 85mm F1.2 L is a new lens...it looks great, the front element is so big, the whole lens looks like it could be a coffee mug. I'm sure the build quality and performance is top of the line, just like most lenses.

I've heard great things about the 85mm F1.8 and the price is pretty good. It's said to be quite sharp. The build quality is above average but not up to L standards. I believe is has Ring USM focus, which is good.

I´d like to use it for portrait stuff indoor and outdoor. Light will not always be available.

That Ring USM focus, thats makes the lense go sharp even faster or something?

I´d like to use it for portrait stuff indoor and outdoor. Light will not always be available.

Then the EF 85mm f/1.2 L is the better choice I'd guess ... if money does not matter. If it matters, the other lens will be a fine choice and well adapted to your job. I do not own it myself, but I did not hear anything really negative about it.

Well, money does matter so i guess the 1.8 will be what iwill look into;-) Still, i am open for any other recommendations. Does it have to be a Canon lens? IS there something cheaper that still has pretty good quality?

That Ring USM focus, thats makes the lense go sharp even faster or something?
All Canon EF lenses have an auto focus motor. The best type is USM (ring). It is faster and quieter than other types. Also, it allows you to manual focus the lens without having to flip a switch from auto to manual.

1.4 at 85mm?

The 85mm f/1.8 still seems like a great choice to me. Regardless of issues of build, Canon offers some very good f/1.8 lenses - in particular the 50mm and 85mm - at a great price. Go any wider than that and the difference in price is fairly significant. f/1.8 is still pretty fast and besides I'm assuming your Canon dSLR handles noise at higher ISOs well.

Thanks for the info you guys! what about the image quality? Is there much of a difference between the 1.2 and 1.8?

Also, ss i asked earlier, is there a cheaper alternative?

Thanks for the info you guys! what about the image quality? Is there much of a difference between the 1.2 and 1.8?

The f/1.2 lens stopped down to 1.8 might be slightly sharper than the f/1.8 lens at 1.8 ... but the gain is by no means proportional to the extra cost of the lens ... this is typical for most lenses by the way ;)

The 80/1.2 is a very special lens, for those who find that a f/2.8 or an f/1.8 lens is not enough to generate a very shallow depth of field.

Another reason to select a particular lens, especially between portrait tele and long telephotos is the bokeh.

The 80/1.2 is sharper than the 80/1.8 but as soon as you stop down to f/2 the difference starts to decrease and at f/2.8 the difference is small.

If you buy an 80/1.2 and don't take pictures at f/1.2 or f/1.4 often enough, then you are wasting your money.

Another option that is close to 80mm is the EF-S 60/2.8 macro. It is an excellent lens, sharper than the other EF macro lenses and can work as a portrait lens as well.

I am personally using the EF 100/2.8 macro for both portait and macro work. Bear in mind that portraits inside can benefit even from the built-ib flash in fill flash mode. The fill flash can more than compensate for the 2 stops in lens apperture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back