Canon Lens

jaymac

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I need a new lens to expand on the kit lens. I'm looking for something with a bigger range and farther zoom. I'm looking at getting the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS Telephoto Zoom Lens. Looking to stay around $200 or so. Any suggestions or know of any Black Friday lens specials?

You aren't going to get much for $200.

You might want to look at the several 70/75-300mm lenses. Canon has a few of them and there are also options from Sigma & Tamron.

If you can up your budget some, the Canon 70-300 IS is a great telephoto lens. There is a new L version that came out recently so the older non L might be dropping in price. Might find them around $500 new, so maybe 400 or so used?

Can't really go up in price. I'm fine with the kit lens quality for now but just a farther zoom. I also understand that it's not alot of money but basically I'm just looking for something that will get me a little bit of a zoom.

Last edited:
For the money I think the Canon 55-250 IS lens is a pretty good lens. It is by no means L-lens quality, but it is also at least 1/3 the cost. I have the Canon 55-250 and I think it produces some nice quality pics.

Here is just 1 review of that lens.............
Canon Lens: Zooms - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
They place the 55-250 in the same category as the 70-300 IS by Canon, by the way.

For the money I think the Canon 55-250 IS lens is a pretty good lens. It is by no means L-lens quality, but it is also at least 1/3 the cost. I have the Canon 55-250 and I think it produces some nice quality pics.

Here is just 1 review of that lens.............
Canon Lens: Zooms - Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS (Tested) - SLRgear.com!
They place the 55-250 in the same category as the 70-300 IS by Canon, by the way.

I agree. Seems not bad, and is typically better than 75-300 (which is cheaper).

If you can up your budget some, the Canon 70-300 IS is a great telephoto lens. There is a new L version that came out recently so the older non L might be dropping in price. Might find them around $500 new, so maybe 400 or so used?

^-----+1. I have seen them go for as low as $350 on craigslist. If you can't go higher price, I would advise either the 55-200, or maybe a non stabilized Tamron, or Sigma.

Most reactions

Back