Canon Lens

i'm in the same boat. i wish there was something between the $150 crap lenses and the $500 pro lenses... :(

i know for you guys, spending a grand or so on a lens is no big deal, but to a hobbyist, there are probably a list of a dozen or so other things that need money before the camera does..

thanks for the input.

jackfrost said:
i'm in the same boat. i wish there was something between the $150 crap lenses and the $500 pro lenses... :(

i know for you guys, spending a grand or so on a lens is no big deal, but to a hobbyist, there are probably a list of a dozen or so other things that need money before the camera does..

thanks for the input.
point taken
I spose you could keep a close eye on ebay and hope for a great deal someday...they do come along now and again. anyway...good luck shoppin':)

I started out with the tamron 70 - 300 f/4 - 5.6. Used it for years. Here are some shots I took with it...

snipe.jpg

swallow.jpg

deer1.jpg

hawk4.jpg

And with its macro feature...
bee3.jpg

It is not a bad lens at all, and is less than $200 I think.

Now... I just bought a canon L 70 to 200. If I compare side by side, yes, the tamron will be a hunk of crap, but if you are starting out, you will love the results. Unless of course you do not know how to take good pictures. You will also need a good tripod with anything over 200mm. There is another $150.

Do not get a tele convertor with a cheap lens. I went that route when I first started. It just doesnt work.

Get the Tamron. You will love it.

Any other questions, ask me.

Doug Raflik
[email protected]
http://www.wxnut.net

where these pictures taken with a digital camera? if not what route did you use to get them digital.

Thank you for the tip, this is the quality I was looking for in a lens this price. Not a superior shot, but clean and up close, Thank you for the help.

Photography, like most hobbies can tend to be expensive...especially if you are fussy about the gear. I used to golf a lot...but with green's fees, equipment etc...it was just too expensive.

To some, photography is about doing the best you can, with the equipment you have. Sure the quality of those lenses is poor...when compared to more expensive models. And of course you are going to find poor reviews on the internet...I've found that a lot of the people who talk about photography on the internet, are gear heads...and there will always be better, more expensive gear to compare to. Search for the Canon EF-S 18-55mm lens...9 out of 10 people will call this lens crap. I think it's a great lens...for the price.

Most lenses will perform poorly if you push or go past it's capabilities. Consumer zooms are made for bright, outdoor light or flash. The trick is knowing what your equipment can and can't do...and using that to your advantage.

For what it's worth, I have a Sigma 70-300 APO lens. It's not stunning in terms of image quality, bt for the price I paid for it (about 250 Aussie dollars new) I think it's pretty good. the sharpness is acceptable as long as you don't use it at the longest end of the zoom. For me, if you're just starting in photography and not sure whether you'll really use one of these lenses, using a lens like this before stepping up to a pro lens like the L series Canon lenses makes sense.

Most reactions

Back