Canon Lense/35mm Camera questions...

LittleMan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.sorberaguitars.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am thinking of getting a Canon Lense/camera... I have the ability to get a Canon 50mm f 1.4 Lense right now for $275(maybe $250) In the next month or so I am also thinking of getting a Canon 1V.... what should I do??? Should I take the lense now and get the Canon 1V body later? or buy the Camera with a lense in a month or so???

There are a lot of options. So, what would you suggest?

also, I love the looks of the Canon 1v mainly because of how durable it is/how much stuff it can do. The reason I want that lense is because it has such a small f-stop for the price...
What do you think I should do?

Questions:

#1 Do you need 1.4 vs 1.8? The quality of the optics of the 1.4 are not that much better than the $75 50mm f/1.8.

#2 Do you need a 1v body? I realize the build quality is very nice, but what features do you need from that camera? You can buy a much cheaper camera that gives you the same features, and spend the extra money on glass, which is more important.

Here's an article comparing the Canon 50 1.8 to the 1.4
http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50

#2 Do you need a 1v body? I realize the build quality is very nice, but what features do you need from that camera? You can buy a much cheaper camera that gives you the same features, and spend the extra money on glass, which is more important.
What Canon body would be a better buy? I need one that is mostly dust proof and at least a little water proof. (Like the 1v) I also need a reliable AF.

And since I am really not exactly the most amazing professional photographer I need to be able to shoot an assortment of different things....
The main thing is that it is rugged (I go hiking/climbing a lot)

I would also like to start on portrait photography which is why I think the 1.4 lense may be a better buy(I will go check out the link you gave me)

I was checking on ebay and the Canon 1V bodies seem to be pretty good priced for a used one.... I would just like to get a good 35mm camera that will last and be durable.

Thanks!

No camera is dust proof. As soon as you change the lens, you are open to dust.

A body is just a light tight box. Aside from any features you might want, that's all it is. I have an Eos 50, which is mostly metal, besides a plastic grip and back. It's very rugged, not that I plan on dropping it. I bought it on Ebay for $95, and it has everything I need feature wise, (mirror lock up, bulb mode, etc..) Any of the models with 2 digits are considered "semi pro", and are a lot cheaper, especially used, than the single digit models.

I still stand by the 50mm f/1.8.

Most reactions

Back