Canon Lenses

Meekus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, I'm a newb, but am looking at getting some lenses to go with my XTi. I've currently got the kit lens, and am planning on getting the following two:

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=155&modelid=11156

EF 50mm f/1.8 II
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=152&modelid=7306

I was also looking at getting the EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, however some of the reviews I've read state that the focusing mechanism is on the outside of the lens, causing problems when using polarizing filters (especially when AF kicks in).

I'd like to have a lense with the 300mm range (good ol' distance nature photography), but am having a difficult time figuring out which to get.

Any words of advice for a new and aspiring photographer?

Also, are the 2 lenses above good choices? I've read good reviews on them, but am not positive.

Welcome to the forum.

I've heard very good things about the 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, it would be a good lens for wildlife, as long as the wildlife isn't' moving around too fast. Many lenses have rotating front elements, which isn't ideal, especially when using a filter like a polarizer. It's not huge problem though. Personally, I usually don't use a polarizer on my telephoto because it steals some light and makes it hard to get a good shutter speed...which is important for sharp shots with a telephoto.

The 50mm F1.8 is a great little lens...and for a great price too. It's good for low light shooting and/or getting a shallow DOF.

I haven't heard too much about the EF-S 60mm Macro. I'm sure it's a pretty good lens. I would also consider the EF 100mm F2.8 Macro. The 60mm is a little close to the 50mm, so besides the macro ability...one lens would cancel out the other. I would maybe consider a combination of the 50mm and the 100mm Macro....or the 60mm macro and a 24mm, 28mm or 30mm lens. (Check out the Sigma 30mm F1.4)

I agree with Mike. Look at the 100mm f2.8 macro. I would recommend it over the 60mm for the reasons Mike stated.

Mike, stop being right so much.;)

Canon Macros are superb peices of glass. I have the 100 macro but the 60mm Macro is every bit as sharp. Yes you need to be a bit closer but you can use it handheld at slightly slower shutter speeds too. 100mm f2.8 macro is the bees knees though. Both are excellent portrait lenses (if just a tad too sharp)!

The 50 1.8 is as Mike says. Cheap quality but a sharp & fast lens. great value.

My brother has the 70-300 IS and really likes it. I've seen some great images from it. IS works pretty well but the slow aperture at longer focal lengths is a let down. 70-200 f4L may suit better (70-200 f4L IS would be even better if you can save for that).

Thanks for the replies! The information is very much appreciated.

I may hold off on the 70-300 for now, The only reason I really needed it was for my brother's HS graduation. Depending on the weather I may be a fair distance away. But I may just save for the 70-200 f4L with IS (spend once, save lots, right?).

I'll pick up the 100mm macro though, I didn't even think of the similarities in lengths.

Thanks once again!

But I may just save for the 70-200 f4L with IS (spend once, save lots, right?).
Following that idea...maybe you should save for the 70-200 F2.8 IS...it's a lot more...but you'd be hard pressed to find a better zoom lens anywhere.

For your brother's graduation look into renting. I just shot a graduation this weekend and used the Sigma 50-500 at 500mm as it was held in a football stadium and I was in the stands.

Gary

PS- The 60 EF-S is very sharp (but it seems most/all prime macros are very sharp) you may want to look at third party lens makers. The Tamron 90mm is legendary for its sharpness and Sigma just came out with a 70mm macro which may be the sharpest macro for Canon on the market.) The problem with any EF-S lens is your EF-S lenses will not work on a full frame camera should you upgrade.

Some 60mm EF-S are here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/825708#36876512

and here:
http://garyayala.smugmug.com/gallery/665568#28692310

Gary

Following that idea...maybe you should save for the 70-200 F2.8 IS...it's a lot more...but you'd be hard pressed to find a better zoom lens anywhere.

Mike I didn't mention that because it's so much more but i have the 2.8L IS and it really is a fantastic lens :)

:lol: It's always easy to recommend lenses like that...although most people (including me) can't afford them.

Some day.....some day...

The best lens on the planet to practice with is the economical 50mm 1.4. Can't go wrong with that one!

The 70-200 f2.8 IS is probably a little out of my range, for now anyway :) Might get within the range as I start shooting more.

Thanks for the info Gary. The images look good! I think I may go with the EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. It looks like it may be just what my wife and I are looking for.

The best lens on the planet to practice with is the economical 50mm 1.4. Can't go wrong with that one!

With a 1.6x crop camera the Sigma 30mm f1.4 may be a better choice as I find the 50 slightly long with my 20D.

Well, the lenses came in, and I'm a happy man. Didn't get much of a chance to play around with them (Except for the 100mm Macro, I couldn't resist). But this weekend I'll have some fun.

I may even post some pictures, but I keep hearing that old phrase of "They're all gonna laugh at you..."

We'll see though :p

Most reactions

New Topics

Back