Canon Lens's's's

bace

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I'm doing my best friends wedding and she wants to buy me something for the camera. (As payment)

What would you recommend in terms of a good lens with really good glass. Also something that might be useful for the wedding shoot. I was thinking something that could zoom a little further?

I already have the stock 15-55mm lens that came with the kit (Canon Rebel 300D) And I bought a 50mm lens aswell. They're both plastic and I've been told the glass isn't the best in them.

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Please and thank you!!!

What kind of money are we talking?
$500? $1500?

70-200mm f/4L $585
70-200mm f/2.8L $1140
70-200mm f/2.8L IS $1700

You mean the 18-55, not 15-55.

Actually, the 50mm F1.8 is great glass, one of the best by most accounts. The rest of the lens is plastic and cheap though.

You really need to give us a budget. Really good glass starts at around $700 CDN and goes up from there. 70-200 is a popular lens. There is an F4 version that is supposed to be good quality and affordable. There is an F2.8 version that is big, heavy and expensive. Sigma makes a version of this as well...much cheaper than the Canon. I think there is a 70-200 F2.8 IS...that is the cat's ass...but worth more than my car.

How about the 28-135 IS?

Do you like your fast prime or the convenience (but lesser quality) of your zoom?

Well...I suppose $500 would be nice round number?

I don't know really. She wanted to buy me a 1gig memory card which I don't need, then she was gonna pay for my plane ticket. So I'm really not sure how much she'd be comfortable with.

$500-$700 is good.

I know i'm not known as a digital guy round here, but I have to say the Sigma 70-200 HSM APO NO DOUBT.

stingray said:
Where do the lens specs stop and the real talk start!?
If you were referring to discussions on photography, we have a section here.

I use a Canon 28-200mm EF USM 3.5/5.6f lens, love it because it capture both not-so wide and zoom shots. For my standard in front of altar family shots, I switch to my 18-55mm lens that comes with my Canon 350D.

max has a point that the sigma might be a good idea since it is pretty much in your price range (although a little on the higher side) and has a constant f/2.8 aperture...i've heard alot of good things about that lens. No, it's not quite a 70-200L, but it's still very nice. if the wedding is outside, then your lens choice doesnt matter that much but it is always good to prepare for the future. If you don't care about that extra stop, get the 70-200f4L. it is extremely good.

imho, the Sigma would be an excellent choice, albeit, as noted, on the high side. I know that canon and nikon users are notoriously picky about using stock lenses, but Sigma is a pretty reputable lens maker. If all the glass in the lens weren't APO, i'd say that the stock canon lens was better, but we're talking about a basically comparable lens. The APO glass is a definite plus.

bace said:
So I'm doing my best friends wedding and she wants to buy me something for the camera. (As payment)

What would you recommend in terms of a good lens with really good glass. Also something that might be useful for the wedding shoot. I was thinking something that could zoom a little further?

I already have the stock 15-55mm lens that came with the kit (Canon Rebel 300D) And I bought a 50mm lens aswell. They're both plastic and I've been told the glass isn't the best in them.

If you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Please and thank you!!!
Use less apostrophes?

The 28-70 range is probably most ideal for a wedding. Sigma have really come on very well lately and I have been very impressed with their newer top-end products.

As has been mentioned, the 50mm has great glass, but nasty plastic. It'll be useful as a single/couple portrait lens for a wedding. You're going to need something wide enough to do group shots though, and 28 is possibly a touch too narrow for that on a 300D.

It's worth considering this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=279582&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
which would be a better glass replacement for your 15-55, but it's not cheap for what it is.

So, I'd say either the 28-70 decent Sigma, or the Canon super wide zoom, depending on what type of photography you feel you're likely to be doing at this wedding. For walk arounds, both lenses work great, it depends whether you are the kind of guy that wants to be in people's faces, or sniping from a bit greater distance.

Rob

I'd go for the 70-200 f4. It's lighter and smaller than the 2.8 ones, you can use bounce flash to brighten up the scene a bit in a church anyway. If it's during the day, then you don't need the extra stop at all.

70-200 is the perfect length for the ceremony where it's mostly about the bride and groom. Keep your kit lens in your pocket to take the occasional wide photo of the crowd and for group photos after the ceremony.

Most reactions

Back