Canon m50 vs nikon d5300

erikpottas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well i just saw the canon m50 on a sale and went and did some research. The canon has more focus points, more frames per second, and a touchscreen. So is it better than the nikon d5300? Should I get a mirrorless instead of a DSLR?

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

This depends on a couple of things.

Do you currently own the d5300? If so image good light image quality may be about the same as their sensors are both 24MP.

If you shoot mostly landscapes/flowers/other slow moving things then the added frames per second really don't matter much.

If you shoot wildlife, fast sports etc. the 10fps could be an advantage.

Below is how I go about looking into a new camera.

Make a list of what you want that your current camera is poor at.
List any must have features as well as nice to have features that you want from the next camera.
See what cameras in your budget meet the most needs/wants on the list.
Pick the top 3 and head down to the store to get them in hand.
Compare price/features/how it feels in the hand.
Weight the above factors to come up with the bast camera for you.

I want to shoot and make videos about nature, landscapes and wildlife. Wich makes the canon better, right? But its a mirrorless and people say mirrorless sucks? And it says on the cameradecision website it has less lenses?
Screenshot_20190217_153138.jpeg

For video yes I would agree the M50 is the better of the two.

As for the number of lenses. The only thing you need to look at is. Does it have the lens/lenses you need.
Just because company X has 60bajillionty lenses means nothing since nobody owns all the lenses a company offers.....NOBODY.
So advertising 140 lenses you don't want/need is just a tactic to look better.

Focus on what YOU need and let the rest of the noise go away.

What abou landscape, wildlife, nature? Is the m50 better?

Wildlife mostly boils down to AF capability and FPS. The fps is better. I haven't used either of these so I don't know how well the AF is.
Landscape they could be very similar since the sensors are both 24MP. The Canon has an ISO advantage but again this may not be a bonus because I haven't seen how it handles high ISO.
Nature can be a combo of the above.

Does the m50 have less lenses?
Screenshot_20190217_153138.jpeg

Yes, it's a new lens mount and Canon has not introduced very many yet. The Nikon on the other-hand can mount lenses from the 70s... it's a pointless comparison.

Are you planning to shoot FAST moving wildlife?
If so the M50 may not be the best choice. Most mirrorless cameras do not do FAST erratic moving subjects well. The mirrorless AF technology is still developing.
I was going to switch to an Olympus EM1 (a mirrorless camera), but it did not do fast sports well, so for fast sports I am sticking with my Nikon D7200 (a dSLR). For everything else I am shooting the EM1.

As for lenses for the M50. The M50 is a relatively new camera, and like the full frame Canon and Nikon mirrorless cameras, it will take many years to flesh out the lens landscape. And like the Canon and Nikon FF mirrorless cameras, you can put an EF to M adapter and use the current Canon EF lenses. And that means you have a LOT more than 20 lenses that you can use on the M50.

Rather than look at that lens count chart, look at the SPECIFIC lenses. What lens do you want, and is it in the landscape for that camera or is there an EF lens that you can adapt to the M50? As @zombiesniper said, many of the Nikon lenses are lenses that you would never get anyway, so they are irrelevant.
Without specific detail, I question the validity of that chart.
  • I think Nikon has FIVE 70-300 lenses, and that kind of thing totally distorts a lens count chart.
  • The chart shows 20 Nikon standard primes. I would really like to know WHAT those 20 lenses are? Are they including the old manual focus F lenses, and the mechanical AF lenses (which won't autofocus on the D5300)?

Last edited:
Most mirrorless cameras do not do FAST erratic moving subjects well. The mirrorless AF technology is still developing.

This is a completely false statement.
The AF tech is the same as from the same company. Just because you remove a mirror does not mean you begin at square one.
There are a couple mirrorless cameras that will keep up with and/or beat the Canon 1DxII or Nikon D5.

Edit:

The above statement was a little short so here's a bit more.

The appearance of mirrorless not doing as well with AF is because of their origin. They were not origionally meant for fast action and therefore did not have great AF. Add to the fact most saw all of the Sony hype and equated them to be the leader in the market. Sony did have horrible AF in the beginning.

Now why I say it doesn't matter. If Nikon makes the D5 mirrorless, the ONLY difference would be an EVF (and processor for it) and battery life. NOTHING else needs to change.

So sating that mirrorless have worse "X" based soley because they are mirrorless is way to simplistic an answer and is inherently incorrect.

Last edited:
Go Mirrorless, I did and never looked back...........

Most mirrorless cameras do not do FAST erratic moving subjects well. The mirrorless AF technology is still developing.

This is a completely false statement.
The AF tech is the same as from the same company. Just because you remove a mirror does not mean you begin at square one.
There are a couple mirrorless cameras that will keep up with and/or beat the Canon 1DxII or Nikon D5.

Edit:

The above statement was a little short so here's a bit more.

The appearance of mirrorless not doing as well with AF is because of their origin. They were not origionally meant for fast action and therefore did not have great AF. Add to the fact most saw all of the Sony hype and equated them to be the leader in the market. Sony did have horrible AF in the beginning.

Now why I say it doesn't matter. If Nikon makes the D5 mirrorless, the ONLY difference would be an EVF (and processor for it) and battery life. NOTHING else needs to change.

So sating that mirrorless have worse "X" based soley because they are mirrorless is way to simplistic an answer and is inherently incorrect.

I said "most mirrorless."
Yes, some of them do AF FAST, but those are EXPENSIVE, like the $4,000 Sony. But I do not consider a $4,000 camera "affordable," at least to me. That technology has yet to filter down to the $2,000 and cheaper, "affordable" mirrorless cameras.

Moving the AF sensor from a dedicated AF sensor in a dSLR to the image sensor on a mirrorless, while not starting from square one is a significant design change. I do not do "live view" with my dSLR, but from what I understand, the AF performance for some cameras with live view (using the image sensor for AF) is generally worse than with the dedicated AF sensor when viewing through the viewfinder.

In the m4/3 mirrorless world, they are screaming for better AF performance. The perceived issue is lack of Phase Detect AF sensors on the image sensor. I am not technical enough to know if that is really the issue. But that does highlight the design change to the image sensor itself that may be needed.

Agree that quite a few AF systems suck.....but that's true for DSLR's as well. 7Dmk2 D500 1DXmk2 and D5 are the only DSLR's with good AF's. ALL the rest are mediocre. So you're still looking at a fair chunk of change.

I just feel that people ask more from a mirrorless than a DSLR of the same price range.

Most reactions

Back