Canon Macro lense advice

Tim Corio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm planning on buying a Canon 5D. One primary subject will be coins. In considering the Canon MP-E 65MM 1-5x lens for this. The 5x magnification will be usefull for getting the small features of a coin.

Im not clear on all the features of this lens. Will I be able to photograph larger coins, or will the lens not support magnifications of less than 1x?

Would it be more practical to use the Canon EF 100MM lens. I could use closeup filters for getting the small details.

Welcome to the forum.

From Canon...
A unique manual-focus lens designed exclusively for macro shooting, between life-size (1x) and 5x life-size – at its maximum magnification, you can fill a 35mm frame with a grain of rice. Compatible with the Macro Ring Lites and new Macro Twin Lite, it eliminates the need for awkward bellows accessories for many macro shooters. The optical system uses a floating system to preserve optical quality at different focusing distances, and features a UD-glass element.

From the looks of it...you may not be able to get magnifications less than 1X...but I'm not sure.

You could also consider extension tubes, which would allow you to get pretty good magnification...without introducing any other elements...like close-up filters would do.

Mike is correct... the MP-e will only support 1-5:1 magnification... no less... I currently use the Canon 100/2.8 Macro and it does real well on coin sized objects... you wont need a close up filter for it...

I've asked this same question at a few other forums (not part of TPF). This is the only place I got much usefull response. This has been my first post here and you can count on my continued involvement. The most exiting piece of advice was to check out www.the-digital-picture.com. Their reviews appear to be well balance and fact based. This is another thing that's been hard to find on the web.

Based on what I've found out here I'm planning on ording the following in the next few days:
Canon EOS-5D (USD $2500)
EF 100mm f/2.8 USM ($440)
EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM ($360)
Two extra batteries ($100)
MR-14EX TTL Ring Lite Flash ($435)
Speedlite 580EX E-TTL II Flash ($365)

Total ($3835)

This setup is replacing my old Canon FTb. I've been real happy with that camera, but it's time to go digital. My only experience with digital photography has been with my Canon PowerShot S20 point-and-shoot. I'm quite excited, but a bit nervous laying out $4000 all at once for a complete set. I'd appriciate any advice on the setup I'm planning here.

Thanks,
Tim

Looks like a pretty good set up Tim.

A few suggestions for you.

#1. Don't buy the Canon brand batteries. You will get one with the camera but buy your spares from Sterlingtek. I have three of their batteries, they are great. The price and service are both very good.

#2. If cost is an issue...maybe consider a 30D body, rather than a 5D. The build of the body is about the same...the difference being that the 5D has a full frame (35mm) sized sensor...and the 30D has a slightly smaller APS-C sized sensor. Bigger is better...and the full frame does give you the same FOV as your film camera/lenses...but if wide angle shooting is not on your priority list...then you may be perfectly happy with the 30D...and save your self at least $1000. If had the money...I'd buy a 5D (or something better)...but considering the price difference...the 30D (or even the Rebel XTi) are pretty good cameras.

That's all I can think of for now. Good luck with it...and enjoy that new-camera smell :D

If you are photographing coins in a studio, you can simply use a 50mm and a set of extension tubes. It's a way cheaper alternative than a macro lens, and the results are equal. I would buy a macro lens if I was going to shoot insects or something like that, but in a controlled setting, I do just fine with extension tubes and a 50mm.

Along with what Mike said... DEFINATELY dont buy the Canon brand batteries... another place is from www.mydigitaldiscount.com which is a great place here in NY with fantastic prices... the only canon batteries I have are the ones that came with the initial camera purchase... the rest from here... and I have nothing but good things to say about them...

Don't forget about memory cards. 'Compact Flash' for EOS cameras.

In the US, www.newegg.com is supposed to have pretty good prices...but these things go on sale all the time.

I've got a few different brands and I like the Sandisk, Ultra or Extreme cards best.

Tim Corio said:
Based on what I've found out here I'm planning on ording the following in the next few days:
Canon EOS-5D (USD $2500)
EF 100mm f/2.8 USM ($440)
EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM ($360)
Two extra batteries ($100)
MR-14EX TTL Ring Lite Flash ($435)
Speedlite 580EX E-TTL II Flash ($365)
Some further suggestions on the setup:
Don't buy the 28-200 lens. It's not fair for the camera and the rest of your kit. You will find wanting to replace it very soon. On the other hand, it's so cheap you might want to start with it. Just cautioning you.

You might want to reconsider the body, replace the 5D with a 30D, and get a pair of 17-40/4 and 70-200/4 for the difference. Lenses stay, bodies get replaced after some time.

Also, get a battery grip. Much better handling and can make use of the twin batteries.

The 100/macro is a joy to use. I have used tubes and have used close up lenses. Don't. (Although I still experiment with bellows and tubes for photomicrography, but no real photography).

I have the gear on your list, and am very happy with it. I would also suggest getting something other than the 28-200, it's just not a very good lens.

The 100mm macro is very good for what you want, and the 5D will give you a much bigger frame than the 30D - for macro this matters a LOT. If you can afford it, and the photos are important to you or your business, then get the 5D.

Iron Flatline said:
... and the 5D will give you a much bigger frame than the 30D - for macro this matters a LOT...
A very valid point. The 12Mpixels allow for cropping much more than the 8Mpixels. My thought for the 30D is in case there is a budget issue.

The 5D, with a full frame sensor, additionally provides much lower noise than a cropped sensor. Also important in macro, where things get dark and ISO gets pumped up. The 5D can deliver the same noise level at 1600ISO as the 30D can at 800 ISO. (In general terms).

On the other hand, the ring flash you have budgeted for will light things up like a christmas tree, so again you won't be cornered there. But you won't be shooting macro only, are you?

I ended up buying the 5D, 100mm lens, 28-200mm lens, MR-14EX ring light, 580EX Speedlight, and Canon batteries. I went with the Canon batteries because a failure of non-Canon batteries voids the warrenty on the 5D. The alternative batteries are so much cheaper I just didn't trust them. You get what you pay for.

This setup has been quite satisfactory so far. I've taken very few pictures with the zoom lens so I don't have an impression of that yet. The only failing of the 100mm lens is that I can't use a filter with the ring light. I don't this will impact the work I'm planning, but it might pose problems in the future.

I'll keep the list informed as I get more experience with this setup. I'm also sure I'll have more questions.

Thanks for the great advice, its been invaluable.

Tim

Most reactions

Back