Watch the Birdy!
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
www.johnsphotography.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Now that the mega-pixel race is slowing down, and people aren't quite so impressed by more, more, more, and both companies now have both a full-frame pro body and pro-sumer body, what's the next big innovation for these two going to be? I'm not talking about a slightly faster FPS count, or marginally improved high ISO performance, but something big. I've been thinking about this for a little while now, and I'm thinking it's got to be in-body image stabilization.

Anyone agree? Disagree? What do you think?

In-body is a nice thought but the place that needs the stabilization the most is the end of the lens.

Since the camera body is usually the pivot point simple math tells you that the best place (most economical too) is where there is the most movement ie-the end of the lens. (hint for the math challenged: remember fulcrums and levers)

Now if they could come up with an AI that would view a scene like a human eye/brain would and then capture a "memory" They might have something!

Fully photographer controlled focus, aperture selection, shutter speed selection, ISO selection, and frame per second control through an elegant system of knobs/levers accompanied by a new silver halide sensor and using batteries only for flash operation ... all encapsulated in a metal body with a life span approaching that of the photographer's career.

Here is a prototype that I was able to obtain, at great risk to my own safety, from Nikon's "SKUNKWORKS" buried deep inside Mount Fuji.

CherryNikonFwBC7.jpg

Stay tuned for further updates on this amazing new technological tour de force!

LWW

I've been waiting for a 6 or 8 mp APS-C compact digital from Nikon or Canon. That's what would excite me the most.

In DSLRs the increases in usable ISO have significantly influenced my shooting. I tried every high speed film/developer combo available in the late 90s, and no matter what the label said, actual film speed topped out at around ISO 800. ISO 1600 on any Canon DSLR I own is as clean or cleaner than ISO 400 35mm film. With the 5D I can push that to ISO 6400 or 12800, and it still looks better than 35mm Tmax 3200p. The Nikon D3 is giving us a taste of what's to come, but when photogs are getting usable ISOs 102,400 and above it's going to be amazing.

IS built into the body, rather than having to decide between the right lens for the job and the wrong one that happens to have IS...oh wait, Sony's doing that while the CaNikonites are too busy flinging poo at each other.

A digital body that can still use cheap and readily available old film lenses...oops, Sony's doing that too.

Looks like the next step is to buy an Alpha.

new silver halide sensor

As a bonus, the sensor is replaced after each shot. This is a vast improvement over the current sensor designs, which seem to be engineered to protect all the other electronics from dust by attracting it to, and holding it firmly on the high-pass filter.

:greenpbl:

^yup, what are they good for just now, about 6-9 stops? pah!

This is a vast improvement over the current sensor designs, which seem to be engineered to protect all the other electronics from dust by attracting it to, and holding it firmly on the high-pass filter.

Dust has always been the photographer's bane. Modern film photographers rarely deal with it themselves, but behind closed doors there used to be a lab tech with white cotton gloves and a tiny paint brush (at least at the full service labs) spending hours fixing dust marks. Every print had to be spotted individually unless someone was confident enough to have a go at retouching the neg. A tiny hair stuck in the emulsion of a neg becomes huge in the print, and if the film had fine grain spotting in a similar pattern required a very light touch. Screw it up and either live with it, or start over with a new print. Dust can become a problem when loading the film, in the camera, changing lenses, removing the film, developing the film, and printing. I'm sure most labs using modern printers are fixing dust digitally even from film. There are a lot of neat things about film; the way it handles dust is not one of them.

IS built into the body, rather than having to decide between the right lens for the job and the wrong one that happens to have IS...oh wait, Sony's doing that while the CaNikonites are too busy flinging poo at each other.

A digital body that can still use cheap and readily available old film lenses...oops, Sony's doing that too.

Looks like the next step is to buy an Alpha.

I'd rather have IS in the lens and not the body. Old film lenses? Sorry, Canon did that before Sony did. What do you mean by "the wrong one that happens to have IS"? If I don't need IS I just shut it off.

Not to start another Canon vs. Sony vs. Nikon war, but I'd rather have a camera made by a camera company and not a "everything electronics" company.

Not so much an image thing, but are there any dslr's out there that can mail pictures immediately? I think that might be in the future for photojournalistst. Everybody can send pictures from their (cellphone)camera's now, but the pro's have to upload first. Or am I mistaken?

pascal

Photoshop-in-Camera

that way people can truthfully say.. "nah, it's straight out the camera."

Not so much an image thing, but are there any dslr's out there that can mail pictures immediately? I think that might be in the future for photojournalistst. Everybody can send pictures from their (cellphone)camera's now, but the pro's have to upload first. Or am I mistaken?
pascal

There's got to be enough room for a SIM card and an aerial in there somewhere? There's probably processing power to spare and enough buttons to control it. Would you want it transmitting when you're holding it to your eye though?

There's got to be enough room for a SIM card and an aerial in there somewhere? There's probably processing power to spare and enough buttons to control it. Would you want it transmitting when you're holding it to your eye though?

good point. Maybe an on/off switch for that?

(Oh, and I would be great if you could watch television on it too..;))

pascal

Most reactions

Back