Canon or Nikon as my first camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gabriel.fonseca

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to start in photography professionally and I'm in doubt between two cameras, the Nikon D3300 or the Canon T3i. I'm going to buy used, and the price of them together with the lenses I want to use will be the same, so in terms of price, there's no difference. I want to use it for weddings and outdoor shoots, so I'm going to buy a 35mm and an 18-135mm lens. Which of the two cameras is better? I have this doubt because the D3300 has 24 megapixels and in addition to having an iso of 12800 while the T3i has an iso of 6400 and 18 megapixels, I know that I will not use an iso of 12800, but I imagine that because it has a higher iso it may have a smaller amount of grain in a larger iso which would help me a lot in weddings and nights shoots!

I want to start in photography professionally and I'm in doubt between two cameras, the Nikon D3300 or the Canon T3i. I'm going to buy used, and the price of them together with the lenses I want to use will be the same, so in terms of price, there's no difference. I want to use it for weddings and outdoor shoots, so I'm going to buy a 35mm and an 18-135mm lens. Which of the two cameras is better? I have this doubt because the D3300 has 24 megapixels and in addition to having an iso of 12800 while the T3i has an iso of 6400 and 18 megapixels, I know that I will not use an iso of 12800, but I imagine that because it has a higher iso it may have a smaller amount of grain in a larger iso which would help me a lot in weddings and nights shoots!

If you are going pro, those are pretty old cameras. They will work, but they are NOT pro grade cameras. Canon / Nikon does not matter.
You will also NEED to have a second camera for backup, in case your primary camera fails during the wedding. They are older cameras, so the odds of them failing is higher than a new camera.

The Canon 18-135 and Nikon 18-140 are slow lenses. You will probably have difficulty indoors with them.
For low light, you will have to use the fast primes, Nikon 35/1.8 DX or Canon 35/2 EF lens.

Do you have a flash? You WILL need one.

Sounds like you're at least 5 years away from achieving your dream - probably more, since you haven't even mentioned your business plan.

The workhorse of wedding photographers before mirrorless was the D750. I would not get anything with specs less than the D750. You will need some faster glass, especially a 35mm or 50mm f/1.8, but the lens I like is the 24-70mm f/2.8. You will need a backup camera, so plan on buying 2 bodies, especially if you are buying higher click used cameras. You will also need flash / strobes for more formal portraits at the wedding. Wedding photography takes a lot of skill and experience.

For wedding photography, the business side is as important as your photography skills. If you f-up, you will be accused of ruining your client's wedding and can get sued for a lot more than the cost of your camera gear and getting paid can be an issue. That's why wedding contracts can get complicated. Pricing is also very tricky. I would recommend you look for a job with an established wedding photographer before striking out on your own.

The Canon has a swing out viewfinder.
The Nikon doesn't.
The Canon your lenses will be the EOS EF and EF-S lenses.
The Nikon is most lenses made from the 1950's forward.

The cameras are smaller which may be what appeals to you or the price range.

If you can hold out a bit longer and go Full Frame I would. APS is APS, Full Frame just larger, more image to work with. If going on the Pro End, but the Canon will be stuck with a the EF series lenses.
Again a FF Nikon will use ALL their lens line.

KEH and a few others will have nice units that will fit the bill.

BUT as I always say, go molest a few at a local store FIRST, before you buy to see what FITS you!

A T3i and D3300 are smaller cameras, like a Nikon D3 is larger and the monster of the group is a Canon 1D series.

Are you just starting out in photography? What type of pro photos are you planning to get into? Portraits? Weddings? Landscape? Wildlife? Real Estate? Your answer will result in different recommendations.

If you’re just starting out then do some research on what future camera you’ll want and choose a lower end model in that brand to get you started. Changing brands end up costing you more.

You’re smart to go with used gear. As you learn, you’ll have a better idea of what you need. Start slow and learn all you can with your gear before you move up. When you reach the point where you can’t do what you want because of gear limitations you’ll know.

Good luck!

First, if you're going to shoot weddings, then this may be the initial camera you buy. But then you're doing to want to buy an additional camera once you have the money. And the two options you're looking at will be your backups. So that "next" camera will ideally be one that shares batteries and lens with the first one you buy. In other words, you will want two Nikons. Or two Canons. Or two Sony bodies. I shoot Nikon but I really don't think it matters. I've seen lovely wedding photos shot from a Nikon, a Canon, a Sony, and some other bodies as well. The body matters less than what is behind the camera.

Every good wedding photographer I've known either has two bodies. Or they have an assistant. That's because there will be critical times (the first kiss, exchanging rings, etc.) where you need/want a closeup and also one that captures both full figure with best man/maid of honor. And switching lens simply isn't an option. Or one camera develops a problem--you can't say "hold the vows, it's gonna take me 15 minutes to get this fixed!"

Second, the bodies matter less than the lens. So scope out your glass options. A kit lens won't cut it. What is true is that light at many weddings is terrible. And this is especially true of receptions. So a camera that shoots well in low-light is going to be critical.

Third, you will need lighting. Ideally multiple speed lights. And people who make a living off of shooting weddings will usually get additional income shooting engagement portraits, formal pictures prior to the wedding. So having a backdrop, 2 soft boxes, is going to be the absolute minimum required for that. I'm not trying to intimidate you with costs, only sharing reality here.

Finally, it's almost a requirement these days to have video of the wedding. So consider that. Maybe you have a partner to shoot video. Maybe your next body is one that is video capable.

The points others have made about business plans and marketing are also accurate.

The Canon has a swing out viewfinder.
The Nikon doesn't.
The Canon your lenses will be the EOS EF and EF-S lenses.
The Nikon is most lenses made from the 1950's forward.

The cameras are smaller which may be what appeals to you or the price range.

If you can hold out a bit longer and go Full Frame I would. APS is APS, Full Frame just larger, more image to work with. If going on the Pro End, but the Canon will be stuck with a the EF series lenses.
Again a FF Nikon will use ALL their lens line.

. . .

NOT correct.
It is a common misconception that the Nikon F mount lenses are fully backwards compatible. Not so.
The MOUNT itself, is the same mount from the 1950s.
The complication is in the communication between the lens and the camera has changed/evolved several times, and this is where you have compatibility issues.

AutoFocus. Nikon used THREE different autofocus methods.
AF and AF-D used a mechanical drive. The AF motor is in the camera. The D3xxx and D5xxx do NOT have an AF motor in the camera, so CANNOT autofocus these lenses.
AF-S uses an electronic AF. This is what the D3xxx camera uses.
AF-P uses an electronic AF, like a next generation of AF-S. BUT it has to be used with a compatible camera. On a not fully compatible camera, you cannot even manually focus the lens, because it is "focus by wire."
The AF-P lenses is compatible with the D3300, only with the latest firmware.

Metering.
Pre-AI, these used the "ears" on the aperture ring, to link the aperture ring to the camera.
AI, these used a tab on the back of the aperture ring to link to the camera. So you don't have to do the "min/max" twist that you have to do with the pre-AI lenses.
The D3xxx does not have the mechanical connection for the pre-AI or AI lens.
G, these electronically linked to the camera. The D3xxx only fully meters with the G lens.

Aperture
Pre-AI and AI. These have a physical aperture ring on the lens, and you control the aperture on the lens, NOT from the body.
AF lenses. These have a physical aperture ring on the lens, but you CAN control the aperture from the body. You lock the aperture ring on min aperture. But remember, these lenses will NOT autofocus on a D3xxx camera.
G lenses. These do NOT have an aperture ring on the lens. You can only control the aperture from the body.

There are other complications where some lenses CANNOT even be mounted, as you can damage the lens or the camera.

As a Nikon guy, I hate to admit it, but he lens/camera mount is where Canon beats Nikon.
If I buy a Nikon lens for my Nikon, I have to consult a chart to see if that lens is compatible with my camera.
As far as I know, ANY Canon EF (FF) lens can be used on any Canon EF camera. And ANY EF (FF) or EF-S (APS-C) lens can be used on any EF-S camera.
The exception is, the older manual focus breech-lock FD mounts are NOT usable on the later EF/EF-S cameras.

Reactions: pez
And yet, while a legacy Canon lens will absolutely not mount on a Canon EF camera, ANY F-mount lens will mount on most current Nikon cameras. There are stipulations. You might be stuck with manual focus. You might be stuck with manual exposure, i.e. no metering. A Nikon shooter needs to know the differences between AI and non-AI lenses, as well as the differences in AF modes with AF lenses, i.e. AF, AF-D, and AF-S. For example, an AF or AF-D lens will mount just fine on a D3x00 or D5x00, but it won't autofocus, because AF and AF-D require a focus motor in the camera.

So yes, there are things to be aware of, but Nikon is far superior to Canon in being able to keep their legacy glass working with their modern cameras.

Going the other way is more of a problem. Most modern lenses don't have an aperture ring so you cannot set the f-stop on an older camera with those lenses... you can shoot wide open, but you won't have auto-exposure because the camera does not know what the aperture is on those lenses.

I see disappointment in your future. You will not be happy with trying to be a pro with used consumer grade equipment. And neither will your clients.

I could be wrong, you may have a great eye and fully understand how cameras make images and can make these older, middle grade kits make photos that people will pay good money for. It can be done, but it’s not very common to be successful this way.

One thing you have wrong way round, higher pixel count and greater iso range is better, not worse. Gives you greater flexibility not less. This statement makes me question if you really know what you’re getting into.

NOT correct.
It is a common misconception that the Nikon F mount lenses are fully backwards compatible. Not so.
The complication is in the communication between the lens and the camera has changed/evolved several times, and this is where you have compatibility issues.

AF and AF-D used a mechanical drive. The AF motor is in the camera. The D3xxx and D5xxx do NOT have an AF motor in the camera, so CANNOT autofocus these lenses.
AF-P uses an electronic AF, like a next generation of AF-S. BUT it has to be used with a compatible camera. On a not fully compatible camera, you cannot even manually focus the lens, because it is "focus by wire."

Metering.
Pre-AI, these used the "ears" on the aperture ring, to link the aperture ring to the camera.
AI, these used a tab on the back of the aperture ring to link to the camera. So you don't have to do the "min/max" twist that you have to do with the pre-AI lenses.
G, these electronically linked to the camera. The D3xxx only fully meters with the G lens.

Aperture
Pre-AI and AI. These have a physical aperture ring on the lens, and you control the aperture on the lens, NOT from the body.
AF lenses. These have a physical aperture ring on the lens, but you CAN control the aperture from the body. You lock the aperture ring on min aperture. But remember, these lenses will NOT autofocus on a D3xxx camera.
G lenses. These do NOT have an aperture ring on the lens. You can only control the aperture from the body.

There are other complications where some lenses CANNOT even be mounted, as you can damage the lens or the camera.

As a Nikon guy, I hate to admit it, but he lens/camera mount is where Canon beats Nikon.
If I buy a Nikon lens for my Nikon, I have to consult a chart to see if that lens is compatible with my camera.
As far as I know, ANY Canon EF (FF) lens can be used on any Canon EF camera. And ANY EF (FF) or EF-S (APS-C) lens can be used on any EF-S camera.
The exception is, the older manual focus breech-lock FD mounts are NOT usable on the later EF/EF-S cameras.
uh yeah.. i know.

Taking bets on how many times the OP dropped this drive-by question elsewhere.

NOT correct.

Metering.

Aperture

Only Pentax is truly backward-compatible 🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back