Canon or Nikon?

I've actually never had anyone who has significant experience behind high-end camera ever ask the question... "Should I switch??" Usually their experience gives them the answer once they hold either camera and everyone's opinion suddenly just doesn't matter. They are often the only one that can determine what fits their needs and they know it! If a photographer came up to me at the counter asking 1d markIII versus D3, I'd have big question marks (and $$$) pop into my head.... usually they are simply lookin to burn cash for no good reason.

Kinda like a pro-golf player going to Dicks sporting goods for advice.

very strange....

I think "jstuedle" is the only one who asked the right question... what is it with the D200 that has you considering the switch.

I've met several extremely qualified and successful wedding photographers that shoot with 20Ds and 5Ds. The best tool for the job was specifically chosen by them and they realized that the most expensive line of cameras wasn't the right tool they needed.... it just made sense (to them) from a business standpoint.

JIP pretty much summed up my feelings on these threads.... just because we are talking about expensive stuff doesn't make the debate any different.

Oh yeh.. one more thing... Kinda strange that 1Ds MarkIII got some recommendations since it hasn't been released yet....

All my pro 35mm gear is Canon, the F-1, the A-1, etc.....

When I decided to go digital, screaming and kicking, last year, I analyzed on every feature, scenario, prices, prices of accessories/lens', etc...layed out spread sheets, etc....wanted an entry level DSLR to try digital with....and against my grain, I swallowed hard, and walked over to the 'dark side'....I bought a Nikon d50.

The Nikon D50 is my first DSLR, first camera w/auto focus, etc....

I outgrew that one in about 6mos, but bought some glass for it, and kept it til the new generation arrives.

EDIT: I have used a Canon DSLR when working w/ASU here in AZ, and am glad I got the Nikon, if for no other reason, the feel and ergonomics in the field.

That said, I got my tracking number for my new D300 today....

Why? The Nikon DSLRS felt better in my hand, beefier, heavier (more solid), etc...the lightness and 'plastic' feel of the Canon Rebel's I just didn't get warm fuzzies from.

That is my story....lifelong Canon freak....now a digital Nikon freak....

But the reality is, both (and others) are great cameras!

I know this is off topic but just curious why you would choose Leica for Nature and scenics...

some say since they are small and light ... so ideal for nature travel.

ya, my professor told me kinda the same thing. i probably will just stick with nikon now that i come to realize i dont need to blow the extra cash just to say i have canon when its the same thing.

Ill just stick with my d200 and d40 for a while, get some good glass and maybe upgrade to the d300 or d3 in another year or so.

I guess, just like everyone else who asked the same question as i did, you always want what everyone else has. Me being a new photographer not even out of school yet just needed to get that through my head. and i come to think the very first thing my teacher from grade school told me was, its not the camera that makes a good photo...and its the truth.

I think i just got overwhelmed when always seeing photographers shooting canon and nobody i knew had nikon. haha.

The only thing that does suck is i cant share lenses with my buddies.. =/

Just curious, what is your issue with the D200. Several pro wedding photogs around our area are shooting the D200 and love it. In fact, most wedding shooters in the area are shooting these rigs, and most have converted from MF film. Just piqued my interest as to why.

No issue with the D200 but interesting that Popular Photography indicated that the the D200 has about 2000 lines of resolution at ISO 100. The same number of lines as the Sony A700 has at ISO 1600.

skieur

I know this is off topic but just curious why you would choose Leica for Nature and scenics...

I have the magazine somewhere that I remember reading. A lab analysed the images from a Canon Mark II with the top Canon lens and the same camera with a Leica lens. The Canon lens provided better sharpness and quality with geometric man-made shapes and the Leica provided better sharpness and quality with treees, rivers, rocks, ...nature shapes etc.

skieur

I've never bought a camera based on other people's opinion as stated in reviews and forums. I use these things everyday, somtimes for money, sometimes for pleasure. My first Nikon was a FM-2n which was purchased because I liked how it felt in my hand. Started getting some glass and it went from there. Second one was a F-601, a cheap plastic thing that got me into autofocus. I quickly replaced that with a F4s which was used constantly for more tha a decade. First digital was a D70 which I'll never let go. I now use a couple of D200's. Throughout the whole line, I just got used to the Nikon feel. Others have similar experience with Canon. Never buy a camera because someone else tells you you should - you decide because you're the one using it. It's your dime - you pick, both are excellent.

ya thanks everyone.. and skieur, thanks for that bit on the lenses.

ill probably wind up sticking with nikon.. beacause im already invested d200, d40 and 2 ok lenses. but.. when i get by d200 im definately gonna go to the photostore and compare canon and nikon to every feature, and feel and comfort. see which one feels better side by side.

i went to my local shop, but they dont carry anything significant.

they had the D80 and 40D, between the two i liked the 40D much better as far as comfort. but the D200 is a tad bigger then the D80 so ill have to see with that two.

The only disadvantage i find with canon is that you have only one dial and have to push a button to change shutter/aperarture. with nikon you have both at your fingertips.

wouldnt it be awsome if they both merged into one amazing company haha. 1 amazing camera. afordable.

i guess thats what keeps it interesting.

i too have both nikon and canon. i was always a canon guy, then started loving the nikon - but i still love the canon in certain situations. i think the best camera will always be the newest one you have.

Both brands are excellent. I choose Nikon a long time ago and simply prefer the balance and feel of Nikon. And truthfully, I have way too much invested in the Nikon "system" to change. I have always been pleased and satisfied with what I have and have never been tempted to change. However I am sure for every story like mine, you will find a Canon or Pentax shooter that will tell you the same thing.

I agree with everyones statements above after thourough research and going to the shops and getting a hands on feeling for the cameras themselves.

Here is an article i have received in an email. Its extremely interesting. Its a photographer who has shot nikon, canon, blads, fuju and others and he describes his experience with each.

Its also interesting how he talks about the D3, being he shoots canon and has for the past sevral years, and how it relates to his cameras.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/mada-iiis.shtml

Non the less, i have some time to think it through before i decide which camera system ill be shooting.

Nikon still sticking with me, but theres somthing about canon i just cant stop thinking about<< Yea im weird i guess haha.

Ya same here, i plan on saving all my paychecks from my 1 job for about 5 months and i should have enough for either one.

But what camera do you shoot now sideburns? and do you like it? Whats your reason for having the canon over nikon

I shoot a Canon XT. I find it very easy to use now that I've learned it, and it's very intuitive. The only thing I would change other than main features which makes it a more expensive camera altogether...
A one touch button for whitebalance...

Most reactions

Back