Canon or Nikon

Kross74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've got several questions, again.

1. Canon or Nikon?

2. Which lens are the most compatible with cameras, or does it really matter?

3. What about the durability of the lens and camera?

From my understanding most seem to suggest the nikon d80 ( the camera seems to be in mid-range) I'm on a budget, nothing over $1200.

4. What would you all suggest for a canon that's in mid range on price, is the canon eos xti a pretty good camera, and which one is the most recent of of the xti that's in the mid-range price?

5. Would you all recommend purchasing equipment on ebay, providing the seller has a very good rating 100% score?

6. Which lens are recommended for portraits, outside shots, & close ups?

Thanks for all your answers!

1. Im gonna say its pretty much personal preference, see which one feels better to you. Im also gonna point you here http://thephotoforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=728052 :D

2. I didn't really understand this question but I'll answer what I think you mean and that is that I don't think it really matters, Nikon haven't changed their lens mount so you can use their older lenses but if you have no current lenses (which is what im guessing) then both canon and nikon have a excellent lens range to choose from.

3. I wouldn't worry about camera durability, they will both last you well so long as you are not planning on throwing them at small children.

4. I have never used a XTi but I hear that they are very nice and I'm sure take excellent pictures.

5. I live in New Zealand and have no eBay :(, but if I had access to it I would use it, hell im even trying to use it now for some of the sellers that will ship worldwide.

6. On my nikon I use a 50mm f/1.8 (there is a canon equivilent) and it works a charm, images are amazing and it is suck a 'usable' lens, even in low light situations.

Sorry alot of my answers are a bit vague, but to tell you the truth I felt that if I took any of them any further they would just start to become opinionated, and given that Ihave only ever used my D80 I might show bias, I tried to stay away from this. Anyway, hope it helped somewhat :D.

Canon VS Nikon .. it's personal preference as i'm sure most people will tell you. I personally shoot nikon.

If I had a $1200 budget, I would spend it on a Nikon D40 ($550 or less with kit 18-55mm lens) , a simple flash like the SB400 ($129 or less), the Nikon F/1.8 50mm lens which is excellent for portraits and close ups ($109 or less), UV filters to protect your lenses (around $40 ish each for quality brands like Hoya), plus a longer zoom lens such as the Nikon 55-200mm DX VR lens ($250 or less).

That would put you at around $1200.

I realize I didn't answer any of your questions directly, but hopefully i've helped somewhat.

I hear nothing but good things about the XTi. It is a great camera as well, and you can't go wrong between the d40, d80, and the XTi.

OH. a huge thing I completely forgot about.

The Nikon F/1.8 50mm lens is not an AF-S lens and therefore it will not autofocus with the Nikon D40. It will autofocus just fine with any other Nikon dSLR.

1. Canon or Nikon? Personal preference. Both work fine. Both are excellent choices. I have Nikon DSLR's and Canon Point & Shoots, and video cameras.

2. Which lens are the most compatible with cameras, or does it really matter? Lens compatibility is not an issue at all (with the exception of the Nikon D40/D40x). Both systems have excellent lenses.

3. What about the durability of the lens and camera?. Cheaper cameras of both lines will not hold up next to the better ones. The D200 Nikon is particularly well made in this respect, but so are many Canons.

4. D80's are nice. XTI's are considered by many to be nice too (I have been shooting one for work, I don't like the feel of it at all, too... um... cramped for my taste... it does take excellent pictures though).

5. I have purchased equipment on ebay from Cameta Camera and have had very good experiences with them. Make SURE you are buying US warranty stuff if you live in the US.

6. Pick a camera line first, based on the lenses you want. Digital cameras become obsolete in a couple of years, but the lenses can last for decades.

Not sure why no one mentions 30D. I recently purchased after considering D80 or XTi and am quite happy with the features and the performance. In Dubai it is available for $1,200 with 18-55 kit lens.

Thanks guys...you gave some really good answers! Now, I'm really considering the xti...There's a package deal on ebay for about $800-900 which includes lens, tripod, cases, battery, battery charger, etc. I think it's a good deal... and it's below my budget.

Just watch to make sure the warranty is good in your country. Cannot emphasize this enough (have sent 3 cameras off for warranty this year, 2 nikons and a canon, plus my Canon G2 video camera last year)

Depends on you. I like the feel of Canons so that is what I shoot. Some prefer Nikons. The XTi is a great camera for starting out, and will allow you to pick up some accessories with the rest of your budget. play with both and see which one you come out with.

To echo what everyone else is saying here, go to a camera store and hold each of the cameras you're considering. The best deal in the world doesn't matter if you're not going to enjoy using it. So go to a camera store, figure out which one(s) you like, and then find a good deal on it.

Most reactions

Back