Canon Powershot G10?

i agree, post processing is an art form as well. but we all have preferences to different art forms!

IMO if you want digital, small, but what good quality that point and shoots don't deliver, look into micro 4/3rds. The EP1 and GF1 both shoot excellent images and at least give you DOF control. Not to mention with the pancake lenses, are pretty darn small for what they do.

If you still want a compact, than i'd go with the LX3. It's got an f/2 lens, and at ISO 80 is one of the cleanest compact sensor cameras i've seen.

Have you noticed? You're the only person in this thread not using capital letters. I think that's called a 'tell'? :lol:

hello!

i shoot film right now, but i was interested in moving into digital as well. i have little to no experience in the digital realm, and id like so advice about the Canon Powershot G10.

now, all the kids love to go out and spend their parents money on a brand new Nikon D90 or Canon EOS or something, but i dont know if i'm ready to drop the coin necessary for a full out dSLR.

my friend has a Canon G10 and im very impressed. the picture quality is great, it shoots in RAW, the controls are very intuitive, and apparently you can get an adapter and mount different lenses! neato!

well, like i said, im a dummy when it comes to digital photography, so any advice is welcome. anyone here use the Canon Poweshot series? love/hate?

could someone recommend me a dSLR for a beginner like myself, if not the Powershot G10?

thanks!

The G10 is a great camera. An excellent point and shoot. But it's still a point and shoot. I use one as a carry-everywhere camera.

But it's still a point and shoot, and has the limitations of one. Buying an entry level dSLR would be a much better option if you plan on eventually moving into that area.

Have you noticed? You're the only person in this thread not using capital letters. I think that's called a 'tell'? :lol:

uh, its no tell. its an internet message board. my grammar is good and i use punctuation. capital letters be damned.

anyhow, turns out i did some research and i think im going for the canon xsi instead. screw this in between crap, im going straight for a dslr.

The G10 is a great camera for when you don't want to haul around an SLR. But I would go for the G11, which has greatly improved low-light shooting. And if you're looking for compact, I would even recommend the new S90 - basically the same functionality as the G11 (including low-light), but even more compact. And, the manual controls are on a ring around the lens, making it much easier to watch the LCD while you play with settings. The only disadvantage of the S90 is there is no viewfinder. But I got over that pretty quickly. Either camera is fantastic and gets great shots. Good luck!

Oh, and to your question about megapixels: yes, they matter, but not as much as the size of the sensor. A 10 MP camera with a full sensor will perform much better than a 20 MP camera with a, say, 1/2 size sensor. That's why, if you look at Canon's top of the line 1D Mark IV has 0nly 16 MP, the same as some point and shoot's. But it has a full-frame sensor.

anyhow, turns out i did some research and i think im going for the canon xsi instead. screw this in between crap, im going straight for a dslr.

Good for you! :thumbup:

Theres no point in learning digital functions with a point and shoot, read your manual take a week to learn all the functions properly and test them out and you'll be fine. Theres no point in dropping money on a G10 then later finding out you want a rebel

am i correct in assuming that im gonna drop tons of cash for a full frame sensor dSLR?

Hi everyone!

I just joined, but have a Canon G10, so this is my first post.

Used Nikon film cameras for many years, but found the cameras and the collection of lenses sat in the closet after getting my first digital.

The G10 is so easy to use and carry. The lens is great for everything I've ever wanted to shoot. Go for it. It's a whole new world with a G10!

yes echo, your correct

Most reactions

Back