Canon Powershot G7 - Anyone in a position to give a review???

binglemybongle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Canon EOS Elan 7E, with several lenses, which i use for any serious shots i want to take.

I don't own a digital camera but i feel the time has come to investigate.

I don't have the money to and don't feel it's necessary to invest in a dSLR but on the other hand, i don' want a crappy tourist tool P&S.

After reasonably extensive looking, i've seen the Canon Powershot G7 and quite fancy the look and range of control it gives you. The 10 MP CCD is also a big selling point.

Can anyone offer an unbiased (or biased will do with goor reason!) opinion on this camera?

Thanks in advance.

it gives you a good feeling in your hands, feels sturdy and like something real, not plastic.

but i never took a picture with it. i think regarding image quality it did not get the best reviews.

try dpreview or steve's digicams websites

Michael Reichmann, of The Luminous Landscape seemed to really like it. Possibly the best non-DSLR digital camera yet (not counting things like the Leica M8 ). Review HERE

The biggest deficiency is the lack of a RAW recording format.

I can't work out from the reviews whether the image quality is down to feeble users or bad build quality.

There seem to be more good than bad.

Does anyone have sample photos over a reasonable range that theeyve shot on a G7?

bingle,

On paper, there's one thing that kicks it down a notch for me: lack of a true wide angle. Everything else looks good. That is a common weakness in the ultrazoom digi cams. Very few of them have a 28 mm eqiv. wide angle without having to thread on extra glass. (which makes you lose contrast & speed, and isn't quite the same quality)

I believe that is about a $600 camera though. Since you've already got EOS lenses, you could get a Rebel XT body for use with your present lenses. You will need to buy something that can be used for a wide angle in the future, but that is the case whether you buy the digital EOS body or the G7. Stick with SLR instead of the stop gap measures. You're in a position where the non SLRs wouldn't even save you money, so it is a no brainer.

Oh, I don't think it has a flash hot shoe either, which will be a kick in the nuts for informal indoor family photos.

Just when you think you've made a decision!!!

I have taken a step back to look at things properly.

I may well have got all excited and bought something just becuase it was shiny.

I have started to consider dSLRs as well now but something else has caught my attention which i had almost ruled out.

The Canon Powershot S3 (IS). It is nearly there for me but i was wondering if anyone knows if it is due to be replaced soon by an S4 or something.

If it had a slightly higher MP and a hot shoe i think i would be very tempted.

I am reluctant to get another SLR but if i cant get exactly what i want from a high end compact then it may be the only way.

So.... S4 release date anyone????? Definite or predictions welcome...

.... and possibly the Sony DSC H5... again, does anyone know if this is due to be replaced?

If you are wondering about new models...there is an annual show, PMA, every year in February. It's quite often that new models are released at or around that time. The S2 was announced in April of 2005 and the S3 was in February of 2006...so it would seem to make sense that an S4 is coming soon...but who knows.

If shooting with a G7 is anything like or better than my G1, I wouldn't mind getting one. Strickly looking at the specs, I think I'd be happier with the G6.

Can anyone tell me what difference the image stabilisation makes.

i know you can shoot in lower light conditions etc but if you are shooting when it isnt needed, will it effect the results for the worst.

I guess im asking, will it make any difference if i just leave it on all the time?

You might want to turn off IS when the camera is on a tripod...but I would think that it's a benefit anytime the camera is in your hand.

On the other hand, if you are panning...then it may be better to turn the IS off. You would have to check the manual for the camera. Some of the top end Canon IS lenses have two modes for IS, one of which is better suited to either panning or monopod use, I forget.

Can anyone tell me what difference the image stabilisation makes.

I guess im asking, will it make any difference if i just leave it on all the time?

It can make a huge difference. In the G7, it is optical, which is even better than the in-body IS of some dSLRs. Plan on a 2-3 stop advantage. That is part of the reason Canon went to a slower lens on the G7 vs. the G6. It is cheaper to make electronics than glass. Seeing what I've seen on my Pentax K100D, I would give a lot of weight to that IS in the G7.

There's only one thing that kind of counteracts the IS - the fact that compact cameras usually get quite noisy at higher ISO settings.

Go and read the in-depth review of this camera at www.dpreview.com; you'll learn a lot. 10 MP in this case is worse than a well-executed 8 MP. Higher resolution in a small sensor means higher noise.

Remind us why you are looking at P&S instead of SLRs? To me, the only good reasons are portability, price, and video capability. For you, price isn't an issue, as it would cost the same to go SLR.

I like IS but in a P&S, I'd rather have the faster/nicer glass of the G6. G7 is also missing RAW and the swivel screen that I like in my G1. The increased megapixels don't matter as much. For me, one of the things that makes the canon G-series so nice is the nice features that were filtered down from their DSLR line. The biggest being a hotshoe for a nice dedicated flash... The difference of a photo using my 550EX bounce as compared to the small direct internal flash is HUGE.

Remind us why you are looking at P&S instead of SLRs? To me, the only good reasons are portability, price, and video capability. For you, price isn't an issue, as it would cost the same to go SLR.

Trust me, price is always an issue when you have a girlfriend!!!

I can get the G7 in the UK for £300 ($425???).

The Canon 350D is still a bit more and if (well actually when) i do go for a digital SLR, i want to make the leap to a very good standard of camera.

I have an EOS Elan 7e which i intend to use for anything bordering on serious but i also want somethign that can slip in my pocket for long walks.

I go to the lake district quite a bit and have taken my EOS a few times. When you go up Scafell (just over 3000 ft) you start to notice the weight of the camera, lenses, bag, film, batteries, filters. Not to mention food water, clothing, boots etc.

I suppose i dont want to be caught short.

There have been too many times when i've thought i'll leave my camera on a walk i've done several times before becasue i think i've seen it all, only to be disappointed after 3 hours hiking to find i would kill for it!

Anyway... i want one!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back