Canon Powershot S60 - a good choice?

Jofoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Back again! I've done some research now and decided not to go with the Kodak camera but a Canon Powershot S60

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_s60.asp

- there's one left at my local electrical store and I managed to get them down from the store price to the webprice (i.e. £299 as opposed to £369 - approx $538 reduced from $664.).

I'm soooo tempted to go for it but wondered if others have used it and what you think? I'm looking for a really decent camera in that price range that I can do natural shoots with (mainly landscapes) and this camera seems to fit the bill - I also like the feel of it. I've looked at the dpreview.com website and it seems to have received a general thumbs-up.

Many thanks.

Look pretty good for a compact camera. You can't go wrong with a Canon.

A compact camera may be good because it's easy to pack and carry. However, the optical zoom is somewhat limited. Could you find one that is bigger but offers more zoom...for around the same price?

Big Mike said:
Could you find one that is bigger but offers more zoom...for around the same price?

Possibly BM, but will the zoom thing be that important for me? I usually tend to "compose" my shots anyway, and if I want to focus on something I usually try and get closer!

I know what you're saying though, but as a compromise camera I think it's quite a good choice. I'm not a pro.

I'm trying to convince myself here about this camera!

I've had an S40 for over 2 years now and it's been brilliant. I don't find I'm limited by the zoom in the S series. It's a good size to carry around and shoot with without being imposing, as even the G series can be (I use a G5 for work). I found that you don't get the same depth as you do with a G series model (they have a max aperture of 2.0; S series is more like 3.5) but for their size, they're fantastic.

drew

Most reactions

New Topics

Back