Canon Rebel Xti or Nikon D60?

Blackbelt94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello i am looking into buying a canon rebel xti but i recently saw a learned about the nikon d60 there both basically the same price ( at least were im getting them) which camera do you guys or girls like and why pros and cons?:hail:

They are both fine Cameras I think Canons lenses are a tad cheaper, just a tad.

I use Canon for no other reason then thats what I bought when I got my first SLR, just happen to be on sale. Now with all my lenses being Canon or Sigma for Canon, I stick with it.

But you won't go wrong with either one.

Go with Nikon and the D80. To me Nikon feels much better in the hand at the entry level. When you get to the 30D, 40D and up the Canon start feeling better. Don't waste your money on a D60. Get the D80 as it has the AF motor built in the camera. I purchased the D40 and have learned a great deal on it but have always regretted not haveing an AF motor. I just recently ordered the D200 (should be here soon:)). Anyway, go and hold them both and that should help decide between Nikon and Canon. These are just my opinions, there is nothing wrong with the Canon.

For me, it was a close call between the D60 and the XSI/450D. I wanted a compact DSLR, so the D80 & 40D were too large and too heavy to carry in my lunch kit/backpack (I walk to & from work). I was leaning heavily towards the D60 until I realized that my older Nikkor lens wouldn't really work. I liked the option of Live View, 14 bit processing and auto sensor cleaning of the XSI. I am a happy Canon owner!
...Terry

I think on the entry level the xsi would be the best bet - it has the same auto focus system and sensor as the 30D, but not as good a body build. The review I read said it actually focuses faster than the 30D (they thought that was odd). It's got a lot of bells and whistles for the $$ for sure.

Robbie

I'm quite happy with my XSi. I'm new to dSLR & it is a good camera to learn with.

(Except for the fact I can't seem to stop obsessing about additional lens :lol:)

depends what you want to do with it

nikon vs canon debates get old and sour pretty quick; they're both great cameras but nikons' lenses are cheaper in general compared to their canon equivalents. That said, nikon don't have the range of lenses that canon has. Hmm.. But they are significantly cheaper when you get into super tele-zooms and ultra-wide angle lenses. If that's what you want to do, anyway. To use something of that calibre, though, you most certainly wouldn't be using an entry-level camera. So I would suggest investing in the XTI. The XTI does not have spot-metering, however, which is a very big drawback and you have to rely on an external meter to get those trickily exposed shots.

Where do you want to take your photography? Professional? Skip both and get the XSI or the nikon d80; they will take you as far as you need to go as a second body.

Hobbyist? Take the XTI; there's more variety in the cheaper, entry-level lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back