Canon RP "Full HD" Video Needs Full Frame Lenses

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I won't go into the background of why I ended up checking into this matter, but this is what I found:

Based on Manual version 2019-08-28
- includes 1080p 24 fps video info

Crop Lenses (APS-C) are not completely supported on the RP:

- On the RP 1080P (Full HD) is NOT available when using EF-S (cropped sensor APS-C) lenses. The only modes available are UHD (aka 4K) and HD (720P) and 4K Time-Lapse.

- On the other hand, ONLY 1.6x crop (APS-C) is used in UHD (4K) regardless of whether the lens is APS-C or Full Frame. This includes all RF and EF lenses as well as the EF-S lenses.

- UHD (4K) only records at 24 fps. and Time-Lapse.

Data Rates: (manual page 586)

- UHD, aka 4K (24 fps) 869 MB/min (~ 115.9 Mbps)

- FHD aka "1080" movie (24, 25 or 30 fps) 225 MB/min (~ 30.0 Mbps)

Dual Pixel Autofocus:

I did not find this in the manual, It was covered by Max Yuryev:

"Dual-Pixel" autofocus is NOT used when recording 4K, no matter what lens is used. "Dual-Pixel" autofocus is used for Full-HD (1080p). [Dual Pixel might be used for HD (720p) -- I'm not currently sure.]

I have no idea what you just said:D:D

This is the source of some of the information I posted above:

"A6400 vs EOS RP - Whats better for Video?",
posted Mar 13, 2019 by "Max Yuryev", [Length 17:22 Long]
""

If you have been using a Canon APS-C DSLR to record Full HD and you have some APS-C lenses, and you have been thinking of moving up to 4K and the R series lenses, you can use the RP as an upgrade path, but you might not want to get rid of your old DSLR quite yet. You could keep it for Full HD for a while. Personally, I am still using Full HD for some projects.

Last edited:
The fact that APS-C i.e EFS lenses are not supported when the camera is using full frame format should be a no brainer. Why is this a surprise?
EFS lenses are CROP sensor lenses therefor they CANNOT project an image the size of a full frame sensor.

The fact that APS-C i.e EFS lenses are not supported when the camera is using full frame format should be a no brainer. Why is this a surprise?
EFS lenses are CROP sensor lenses therefor they CANNOT project an image the size of a full frame sensor.

That's NOT what I wrote. I am not being insulting, but go back and read it again really slowly. The body records 4K VIDEO in crop sensor mode only -- it NEVER uses full frame to record 4K video All EFS lenses will record 4K video on this body without problems. But it will NOT record 1080P using the same lenses in crop sensor mode. It is already working with 4X the resolution in video to do 4K video, and it works. It fails when doing the lesser resolution. As far as I know, this is the only camera & lens combination setup in the market that supports 4K video but not Full HD (1080). When someone (not "here") mentioned it to me, I thought that person must be wrong, but it was correct.

The point is that there are people who bought Canon EFS lens DSLRs and have been working with Full HD (1080) and have EFS lens collections, and want to upgrade by trading in the old DSLR body and just have one body (the RP) and mainly, their old lenses for a while. They are doing this so they can work with 4K video, AND preparing to buy "R" lenses in the future. As I wrote above, it will work, but if they get rid of the DSLR body, then they cannot record Full HD anymore. So if they want to completely give up Full HD and only record 4K, then everything is fine. But if they want to keep on working with Full HD for a while during the transition, then they need to keep the old DSLR body as well as buy the RP body.

As I have written before, I personally still use Full HD for some projects, even though I have a couple of bodies now that record 4K,. Really, I am starting to wonder if I will ever stop using Full HD completely. I don't generally find UHD (4K) that compelling.

I read it but if you look at the specs the camera records HD in full frame and 4k in crop mode.
My statement still stands.

Sensor size Full frame (35.9 x 24 mm)
  • 4K/24p (from 1.7x crop region)

Then never mind it. Your expectations are different than mine.

The point is that there are people who bought Canon EFS lens DSLRs and have been working with Full HD (1080) and have EFS lens collections, and want to upgrade by trading in the old DSLR body and just have one body (the RP) and mainly, their old lenses for a while. They are doing this so they can work with 4K video, AND preparing to buy "R" lenses in the future. As I wrote above, it will work, but if they get rid of the DSLR body, then they cannot record Full HD anymore. So if they want to completely give up Full HD and only record 4K, then everything is fine. But if they want to keep on working with Full HD for a while during the transition, then they need to keep the old DSLR body as well as buy the RP body.

As I have written before, I personally still use Full HD for some projects, even though I have a couple of bodies now that record 4K,. Really, I am starting to wonder if I will ever stop using Full HD completely. I don't generally find UHD (4K) that compelling.

If you had a canon crop sensor body and was using EFS glass to record then yes you are used to that. But even before the mirrorless, with Canon, if you went to a full frame body, you would have to change lenses because the EFS lenses will not work on the full frame body. This has been a fact in the Canon ecosystem for as long as I've been shooting. So why would you expect anything different just because of moving to mirrorless? It is my understanding that the RP, R, R5 and R6 are all full frame bodies.

As far as using that full sensor to record video, I will admit to not understanding all of that but from what I remember, seems that Canon has always cropped the 4K video in just about all camera bodies up until recently. (Thinking R, R5 and R6)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back