Canon S3 is vs S5 is --> Worth the extra $$?

p nut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Digic III, Face detection, larger LCD, etc. are some of the features on the new S5 is. The list price is at $500. Is this worth the extra $200 over the old S3 is?

I personally don't think so. The S5 is supposed to debut next month, but I didn't feel like waiting for it. I bought the S3 is yesterday, because all of the features noted above weren't worth $200 to me. I'd rather get the S3, and put the $200 towards a DSLR.

Agree or disagree?

Side Note: I know I've already bought the camera, but just wanted to see what people thought, and maybe help those trying to make the same decision.

I didn't want to spend $800+ into a hobby that I didn't know if I'd like or not. I wanted to use this S3 as a "test unit" and a basic learning platform.

Congrats on your S3IS purchase. I've used the S1IS and then the S2IS for taking vacation photos all over the world, and I love these cameras. I added filter adapters to get around the silly lenses cap scheme and protect the lens. With no interchangeable lenses to carry or mess with, these, along with the S3IS, are great cameras for taking photos in dusty environments (i.e., the sky was brown in Kasggar, China a few weeks ago). The 12X zoom makes getting good animal shots in Africa a simple operation. They are easier to carry than a DSLR and the articulated LCD make it easy to get candid shots. I don't know what the S5IS will offer, but I am going to check it out. It may be time to upgrade.

I'm no professional, but I wouldn't trade any SxIS camera for any DSLR.

Have fun with your camera!

Most reactions

Back