Canon S5 Lensmate

solrac8126

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]LensCapE[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Lens Cap w/ molded loop 58mm[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]$4.95[/SIZE][/FONT] (cap)[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]
Canon S2/S3/S5 58mm[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Color Silver S2 Black S3 [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]$26.95[/SIZE][/FONT] (this is the adapter)
[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]UV[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Hoya UV (double coated) Black 58mm[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]$13.95 ( filter)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]T O T A L S[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]$45.85[/SIZE][/FONT] + shipping

I was reading some info about the canon adapters, since:
1 i want to be able to have a better grip of the camera
2 want to protect the lens
3 it looks better :p

i do want to have those so i'm looking reasons to not buy them, because of $
The reason why i choose those over canon's it's because are not plastic, and also figures that canon won't put to much mind to it, since i guess is not their main business.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_S2_1.html

They also have macro and wide angle lenses , but it tough i could not use them since this is not a dslr, i don't know if those are only main filters as the polarized one , just with a different shape.

Thanx in advance.

everything canon makes is their "main business". I don't see why anything would be lower quality. Do NOT discount their other stuff because it isn't cameras and lenses.

I'm saying this because on amazon's reviews, people complain about the quality, couple of them says it's low quality or it has a cheap plastic feeling.

I really doubt that canon main business it's selling SD cards , but they do.

But that's off the subject, in fact it doesn't matter which one.
what matters is, will it represent a better grip for me?
will it protect the lens?
And if (and i think in this case it does matter) it will look better on the camera.

thanx

I was also looking at the lensmate products. I have some related questions .... I am not at all a pro, I mostly use my camera taking pics of junk to sell on ebay, or hiking. I also hope to get better at shooting insects close up. So I might consider a macro filter (see links to things I am referring to below).

I read a few comments (on other sites) about a lens adapter & filter (see below). I’m not likely to be buying a lot of add on lenses, but perhaps some. To begin with, I wouldn’t mind investing in a lens adapter & filter if it gives me a better quality image, and also give me a little protection. By protection, I am thinking of preventing the scratching of the lens, and also some level of protection to the zoom mechanism. With everything inside a lens adapter, it supposedly would be less likely to be damaged.

A friend suggested I get a cheap plastic adapter. He says a plastic adapter would absorb most of the shock if I drop the camera - & possibly prevent any damage to the camera. He says a metal adapter would transfer most of the shock to the camera, possibly damaging the threads used to secure the adapter.

Would appreciate advice from more experienced photographers. So, I have a few questions:

1) Should I invest in a lens adapter / filter ? Are they really able to protect the camera in cases of short drops to the ground, etc. ?
2) If so, should I invest in a metal or plastic adapter ?
3) Considering I am such an amateur, & have NO extra lens now, would a 52 or 58 mm adapter be best -considering what little I’ve said about my camera usage (mainly nature photography and macro shots)?
4) Is a polarizer just another type of filter ?

I know, always use the camera strap.

Thanks !!

These were some of the comments I saw (I believe on Newegg). For all I know they were written by owners of Lensmate.com ....

- A 'MUST_HAVE' for this camera is the lensmate lens adapter. I strongly recommend that you DO NOT buy the plastic (inferior & $$$) adapter from Canon. The lensmate is metal (durable) & threads better. This adapter protects your lens 100% of the time (with camera ON or OFF) if coupled with UV filter. You can then use a stronger lens cap. As you keep the adapter on, you'll never bang your lens or scratch it.

- The Canon cap is designed to fall off ... Instead of living with this design my advice is buy a Lensmate 52mm adapter which allows you to attach a 52mm filter & a lens cap that won't fall off.

- If buying an adapter for protection, only using filters, a sun hood, or a macro lens, get the 52mm adapter. If you're using the 58mm Canon converters or already have 58mm filters or accessories, get the 58mm adapter.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_S2_1.html

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2.html

I might want to buy whatever it takes to do work like this:

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/polarizer.html

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/S2macro.html

The plastic adapters sometimes mis-thread ???

I added the Lensmate to my old S5is camera for three reasons: 1) protect the lens from physical damage (the lens can fully extend inside the Lensmate), 2) I like to use a polarizer filter so you need an adapter, and 3) the stupid Canon lens cap falls off even inside the camera bag.
Seriously, the threads in the metal adapter are better.
...Terry (formally a S5IS owner)
ps. I liked the grip of the camera with the lensmate attached, seemed a lot more secure.

Im looking into getting an adapter (52mm) for my camera, and after having heard such great things about lensmate, i looked there first. After filling my cart to get an idea of cost for everything i want, i went scrounging around ebay and a few other sites to see if i could get anything cheaper. As other people have noted, an adapter tube can be snagged on ebay for $10 or so.

Most reactions

Back