Canon Speedlite 580 EX II vs 430 EX II

Dubaiian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I currently have a 430 EX II alongside my 7D and am just starting to play around with indoor flash photography (as its so damned hot in the Middle East during Summer).

Some of the shots I am trying really need to have at least two flashes (maybe 3 would be better but I plan to use the built in for fill light) so I need to get another speedlite. I use my current 430 as a wireless and it works well and if I understand correctly, I can activate a 2nd or even third from the internal wireless system. My question is whether the 580 would give me significant advantages over another 430. Apparently the 580 can be a "master" as well as a "slave", but do I need this if the camera internals are already acting as the master?? I have some lighting stands and diffusers etc, not sure if that has any relevance to the type of flash to buy.

I am not worried about the extra couple hundred bucks for the 580 if its going to give me advantages in the future.

Sorry if this is a bit of a simple question but I am very new indeed to flash photography and want to use the long summer indoors to add this to my enthusiast skill set.

Many thanks in advance. :confused:

To me, the 580exII is well worth the extra money over its little brother.

There's a really good comparison review of the two models out there on the net, but it looks like this forum blocks the posting of their website, turning it into ***********************. Maybe they spammed the forum here once upon a time or something and got themselves blocked for it.

Just Google "canon 430ex ii vs 580ex ii comparison" and it's very near the top. Look for photo(dash)tips(dash)online but replace what's in parenthesis with actual dashes.

Thanks for the link Buckster. I have read a number of comparisons but that one makes the differences very clear. 580EX II it is then :)

I've been bit in the butt enough times by buying 'enough to do the job', but then getting bit later on, that I made the right choice and bought the 580 EX II.

Like the OP, I considered the 'little brother' as well. But as I do most of my work inside church facilities, what I fear most is finding the flash I had on didn't "quite" reach far enough. Yes, I sometimes shoot from the very rear of the sanctuary. The 580 EX II lights up everything more than enough! I've never been disappointed with the 580.

Update - Bought the 580 yesterday and played around with it at home. Works perfectly on the camera and wireless and was as simple as anything to configure so that it also controlled my 430. I am getting into macro photography at the moment so being able to use 2 light sources is great and the 430 wont go to waste.

Thanks for all of the advice.

Most reactions

Back