Canon ST-E2 - firing speedlites with camera in manual mode

cmc800

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm relatively new to photography and am running into a problem. I have a Canon SL1 Rebel camera. When I use the Canon ST-E2 transmitter with my speedlites, I can't make the speedlites fire when the camera is in manual mode. (I have to use Tv or AV mode, etc). I need to be able to use manual mode to adjust the settings so this is a problem. Some people have suggested I get flash transmitters such as the Phottix Strato to solve this, but I wanted to make sure - is this really the case that you can't fire the flashes with the ST-E2 when the camera is in manual mode? By the way, I do have the speedlites in manual mode (that's the only way they will work). Thanks in advance for any guidance.

This definitely isn't how the ST-E2 has worked in my experience. Mine fires with the flashes in either manual or auto, and in any mode on the camera. I've used 5d's and 580 exII and 600 RT with it. One of the main features of the thing is that you should be able to fire with the flashes in auto, btw (using TTL).

What flash are you using? It sounds like you don't have something set right, imo.

Thanks! I did finally get them to work but I had to get the lights incredibly close to the ST-E2 (and pointing at it) in order for them to fire. Do you know if I'm doing something wrong as far as that goes? Is there any way to get them to fire without having them so close to the ST-E2 transmistter? I can't get any good light with them so close to the transmitter and hence so far from the subject.

How close is incredibly close?

The ST-E2 uses infrared technology to communicate with the flash, and this can be a little frustrating to work with. You have to have a clear line of sight, which means the front of the ST-E2 needs to be able to see the front of the flash. It's also quite hit or miss outdoors in sunlight. A few tips: rotate the flash head so that the front of the flash is facing towards you (hopefully, backward), and you have to stand behind the flash. Also, if you're shooting vertically, the top of the camera needs to face the flash.

Thanks! By incredibly close, I mean about 2 feet. I literally can't move it any further than that or cannot get the flash to go off. I also need to have the front of flashes facing the ST-E2. It makes it nearly impossible to focus on where the light should actually be when this is a concern.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back