Canon T3i with the Yongnuo 568EX Flash

pointnshoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I recently got a Yongnui 568EX for my Canon t3i and am generally very happy with it, but I do have one issue: High speed sync only seems to work when the flash is physically mounted in the hot-shoe. When using the flash wirelessly the camera only lets me go up to 1/200 just like with the onboard flash. Is this a limitation of this particular flash, or any wireless flash with this camera? Can the Canon 430EX or 580EX or 600EX perform HSS with wireless?

I'm generally bugged that the T3i won't let me choose whatever shutter speed I want - so what if the photo doesn't come out right, I want to play with the settings.

Thanks for the help!

I recently got a Yongnui 568EX for my Canon t3i and am generally very happy with it, but I do have one issue: High speed sync only seems to work when the flash is physically mounted in the hot-shoe. When using the flash wirelessly the camera only lets me go up to 1/200 just like with the onboard flash. Is this a limitation of this particular flash, or any wireless flash with this camera? Can the Canon 430EX or 580EX or 600EX perform HSS with wireless?

I'm generally bugged that the T3i won't let me choose whatever shutter speed I want - so what if the photo doesn't come out right, I want to play with the settings.

Thanks for the help!

What are you using to trigger the flash off camera?

The t3i will let you choose any shutter speed when shooting. Use either Shutter priority or manual.

I'm using the internal wireless transmitter in the T3i. You have to have the onboard flash popped up to make it work. I don't think you can ever have the onboard flash popped up and have a shutter speed faster than 1/200. Doesn't work for me.

I'm using the internal wireless transmitter in the T3i. You have to have the onboard flash popped up to make it work. I don't think you can ever have the onboard flash popped up and have a shutter speed faster than 1/200. Doesn't work for me.
I think you are right. I think you'd need to be using pocket wizards.

So is it also correct that the Canon 430EX or 580EX & 600EX have the same limitation? I want to buy a second flash but I really don't like the wireless/HSS limitation and I'll buy a different one if it will work.

Is there a way to force the T3i to let me change the shutter speed however I please? Like a way to unlock the camera's set limits?

So is it also correct that the Canon 430EX or 580EX & 600EX have the same limitation? I want to buy a second flash but I really don't like the wireless/HSS limitation and I'll buy a different one if it will work.

Is there a way to force the T3i to let me change the shutter speed however I please? Like a way to unlock the camera's set limits?

Bump. Can anyone confirm that all other flashes will have the same limitation: no HSS and wireless at the same time?

Use a sync cord off camera. Problem fixed. Or you can use the ST-E2 (or yongnuo equivalent)

Use a sync cord off camera. Problem fixed. Or you can use the ST-E2 (or yongnuo equivalent)

Not trying to be annoying but this really doesn't answer my question (plus adding wires to a wireless system is not "problem fixed" at all). I want to know if wireless+HSS is natively supported by Canon's wireless flashes.

I'm a bit buggered here because I bought in to both features and had no idea I'd have trouble doing both at the same time - I can't find any mention of a wirelss+HSS limitation in my camera or flash manual.

My other question was if there is a way to get my T3i to let me choose whatever shutter speed I want (I've tried magic lantern, btw, and it does not help here).

Not trying to be annoying but this really doesn't answer my question (plus adding wires to a wireless system is not "problem fixed" at all). I want to know if wireless+HSS is natively supported by Canon's wireless flashes.

I'm a bit buggered here because I bought in to both features and had no idea I'd have trouble doing both at the same time - I can't find any mention of a wirelss+HSS limitation in my camera or flash manual.

My other question was if there is a way to get my T3i to let me choose whatever shutter speed I want (I've tried magic lantern, btw, and it does not help here).
No. if you want high speed and wireless you're going to have to go to the ST-E2 or the Yongnuo equivalent

If the pop up flash is up, it is limited to 1/200. That's built into the software of the camera. In fact, there's even a setting that will force it to go to 1/200 each time you raise the pop up flash. It's a limitation of the pop up flash if enabled, otherwise you'll get an image with dark lines from the shutter. Even though you are using external flashes with HSS, your optical trigger (the pop up flash) is not capable of that and won't fire correctly.

As MLeeK said, you need a DIFFERENT solution for HSS. The cheapest would be an inexpensive, TTL/HSS compatible hot-shoe extender cable, or a PC sync cord. Cheap and easy. If you'd like to spend a little more, Yongnuo has a cheap wireless TTL trigger. A little more, and you can get the canon ST-E2!

What do you need HSS for? There are ways to use flash to stop motion and get away with a 1/200 setting. That might be what your limited to unless you are willing to invest in a compatible wireless system, or run a wired system.

Most reactions

Back