Canon upgrade this spring

tmartin2347

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm looking into upgrading my canon XSI to either a t3i,50d, or 60d.

Anyone want to share experiences with these cameras and what you would upgrade to.

another vote for the 50D.

i've got an XSi and am looking to do the same as you. the 50D keeps coming up as the best option, at least for me.

it's got the metal body and all the good features that they took out of the 60D.

I'm going to suggest the 50D as well, not just because I own it, but because Canon has decided to cheapen the once great X0D line. The 60D isn't a replacement for the 50D, rather it's a stripped down version that has a higher mp sensor, but the body is smaller, plastic and missing a lot of the features of the X0D line. The joy stick is gone, the top buttons are single, rather than dual function, AF Microadjust is gone, and it has an articulating screen. In short, it's been dumbed down to appeal to "enthusiasts" rather than serious hobbyists. However, it has video and wireless flash control, missing on the 50D. As far as the T3i, the previews I've read seem to show there's not much different from the T2i. Optically it's the same, but has some of the features of the 60D, so basically it's a T2i on steroids. As far as that goes, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the T3i and 60D, except size, weight and ergonomics. IQ is predicted to be the same between the T3i and 60D. High ISO performance on either of these is better than the 50D, and that should be noted, but it's not really a deal breaker in my book. I have NR software.

At this point, if I were to upgrade, the only direction for me would be to move up to the 7D. Seems that's the only prosumer model Canon makes now. You, however, aren't me. So if video is important to you, obviously a 50D won't work. If the features missing from the 60D/T3i are important, than the 50D wins. The 60D is a nice camera, but for someone who already owns an X0D body, it's a step down. Going from an older Rebel, it's still a step up, but in terms of a Rebel TXi, not so much.

I'm going to suggest the 50D as well, not just because I own it, but because Canon has decided to cheapen the once great X0D line. The 60D isn't a replacement for the 50D, rather it's a stripped down version that has a higher mp sensor, but the body is smaller, plastic and missing a lot of the features of the X0D line. The joy stick is gone, the top buttons are single, rather than dual function, AF Microadjust is gone, and it has an articulating screen. In short, it's been dumbed down to appeal to "enthusiasts" rather than serious hobbyists. However, it has video and wireless flash control, missing on the 50D. As far as the T3i, the previews I've read seem to show there's not much different from the T2i. Optically it's the same, but has some of the features of the 60D, so basically it's a T2i on steroids. As far as that goes, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the T3i and 60D, except size, weight and ergonomics. IQ is predicted to be the same between the T3i and 60D. High ISO performance on either of these is better than the 50D, and that should be noted, but it's not really a deal breaker in my book. I have NR software.

At this point, if I were to upgrade, the only direction for me would be to move up to the 7D. Seems that's the only prosumer model Canon makes now. You, however, aren't me. So if video is important to you, obviously a 50D won't work. If the features missing from the 60D/T3i are important, than the 50D wins. The 60D is a nice camera, but for someone who already owns an X0D body, it's a step down. Going from an older Rebel, it's still a step up, but in terms of a Rebel TXi, not so much.

My thoughts exactly! :) Another vote for the 50D

I too have a 50D, dont get the 60D. . The other day I was at an electronic store and they had one on display so while my GF was looking for her things I tried it. It feels like a rebel...

The 50D is awesome except for noise on high iso. (iso 800 is okish....1600 is not so okish and 3200 just plain fails.)

I love the 50D, but tbh if I had to go over buying an upgrade for a rebel again, Id go for the 7D for its better high iso noise management. I'm buying a flash this week canon's 430exII or Sigma's EF 610.(thrust me you'll need one if you get a 50D).

Then again I love my 50D, except for low light situations where I know the high iso will kill my images. (its nice for B/W)

Are you upgrading because you need a tougher, larger camera or for sensor performance?
550D, 60D, 7D and now 600D all share the same sensor, just with different filters over the front off them resulting in the minor differences in image quality. 550D even has the same metering system as the 7D...

600D = 550D with swivel screen
60D = 550D with swivel screen and slightly larger body
7D = 550D with larger, tougher, weathersealed body and an awesome AF system
50D is your cheaper option leading towards 7D build quality.
(this is obviously oversimplified but you get the idea)

It's hard to make any sort of meaningful recommendation without you giving reasons for wanting to upgrade. What do you want from your body that you currently aren't getting?

Personally I got the 50D (applies to 7D) for the ergonomics. I have X-large(gloves) hands and the rebels felt too small in my hands. +too much plastic

Thanks everyone, I think I just may go with the 50D, anyone want to post pictures using the 50D.

Go to flickr's website and search Canon 50D--it'll pull up a bunch of pictures.

I've narrowed it down to 50d, and 60d, plus now I've been looking into the 7D even though it's out of my price range I think if I wait a little longer I would be able to get it.

I like landscape and macro photography the most, if that helps people out.

crop is nice for macro (100mm f/2.8 macro here) as at 2.8 you get a DOF closer to 4.5 on FF which is very handy. It also means you can get away with the 100 (160 equ) instead of having to fork out more for the 180 f/3.5 to get the same working distance for insect work.

landscape; well then I'd like FF (If I had the money I'd be rocking a 5D II and the TS-E 24 II) but there are some sharp UWA zooms around; the canon offering fairs well on sharpness charts; but isn't that fast. If you'd prefer a 2.8 zoom then tokina offers an 11-16. If you've mixing in architecture photography as well and need a wide then are you more limited with the TS-E 17; 27.2mm equ so not super wide but then you also run into the problem of the massive front element making filters impossible, unlike with the 24.
These, of course, aren't strictly necessary in terms of DOF issues like with large format - but for perspective correction movements are great to have.

For landscape + macro you won't be utilising the AF of the 7D - landscape should be manual focus to hyperfocal and a lot of the time macro will need manual focus to get focus on the exact point you desire.
I'd say consider between the 50D and 550D - once the 600D comes out 550D will drop in price (most likely). This will free up more money to go to lenses, and a further body upgrade down the track is always inevitable with digital.

I'm in the same boat. I would like to upgrade from my XSi thus summer, too. My reasons are that I want a camera that has video, handles higher iso and is faster - So I'm looking at the 7D.

Most reactions

Back