Canon users need input

jsmharley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have been looking at getting the XTi here in a few weeks, have spent over 2 months waiting to get it. Now today an opportunity has come up to get a 30d with the 28-135 is usm lens and all accesories for just a couple hundred more. The 30d was bought new from Circuit City in January and has unfilled warranty cards. Not sure which deal to go with. The XTi if I go that route will probably come from Andorama seeing as they are the best deal so far. Thanks for any input and help here. Jeremy

Have you handled both of them before? If so, which one to you feels better in your hands?

If it were me, i would drop the extra money on the 30d with that lens. Just a much better camera IMO (coming from an XTi/400d user who is looking to upgrade to a 30d). The lens isnt particularly wide with the 1.6x crop sensor but its not a bad walk around lens.

Do you know how many clicks the 30d has on it?

I you have the money and you dont think you will be happy with the xti then get the 30D.I just got one and it is a smoking hot camera.

If you are just going to be a casual user and never take it out of auto mode then just save your money and get the xti.

What kind of shooting do you plan on doing?

Yes I have held both in the store and shot with them for hours on in it feels lol Store folks threaten I am gonna have to pay for both cause I am wearing them out. Like them both, like the 30d a little better, it just felt more secure in my hand. In store it is a little out of my budget, but the 1 I can get a deal on is so close I can eat bologna for awhile to squeeze it in lol Thanks all will post which I end up with. Jeremy

Spam I think he says only around 100 or so taken. Has uv lens since he took out of box. I haven't laid my eyes and hands on it yet so that is the real deciding factor.

Firemedic I plan on Macro and Portrait above water and of course Macro below. I see Ikelite doesn't have a port for the 28-135 is usm. Will probably squeeze in a 100 2.8 later this fall.

Agree, 30D hands down. You can grow with the 30D. If you get the XTi and you get better, you will be wanting to upgrade in 6 months. Go for the 30D. I love mine. And I have the 28-135mm IS lens. Great lens for the money, and pretty good zoom range with decent image quality. My 2 cents...

I went with the 30D as I was in the same situation 2 weeks ago. Both cameras are great and more than enough for me (noob). However the real deciding factor was the fact that I knew I was going to get serious with photography and the extra couple hundred was still in my range for a long term investment. If your going to be serious about it, you'll probably grow into the camera. I love the 30D as it is one kick ass camera. Compared to the SD630 I have, the image quality is a NIGHT and DAY difference.(no pun intended I'm serious). I'm already looking to get a 50mm 1.8 for some portrait shots. Good luck with your choice and no matter which one you get, don't forget to share your work!:thumbup:

30D will outlast, out burst, and out ....... be easy to use...... err, whatever the Rebel series anything. (other than in the field of being small, or self cleaning sensor, the 30D can't do that, but I wouldn't want it to anyway)

Most reactions

Back