Canon vs Nikon: a very old conflict

angshujit

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

This is a very old conflict - Nikon or Canon. People normally love and recommend the brand that he/she is currently using. So I am not asking which is a good brand. My question is what is the good and bad of each brand (of course we cannot compare a basic DSLR of a brand with a Pro DSLR of other). I have seen many comments on this. But felt that those are bit biased (may be not a good word but anyway). So we need a very open minded comments. We may consider following points
  1. Auto focus (how fast)
  2. Dynamic range (depth of colors)
  3. performance in high ISO
  4. Sharpness (though this depends on lens as well)
  5. Censor capability
  6. How user friendly
  7. Quality of available lenses (of that brand only)
  8. Overall performance
  9. Durability
Any other points that you think we should consider. I am not very much interested on videos, but comments on same is welcome.

Regards,
Angshujit

Last edited:
The head of a major dslr company recently said if you can't get good photos with modern cameras it really isn't a problem with the gear

Yes you are right jaomul. I just want to know which brand handle above mentioned points better.

You are better off narrowing down what you need to specific models and looking for comparison then. I predict this thread will be locked once mods see it. These threads don't really give anyone useful info but do sometimes cause a bit of friction.

Hardly any of the points you mention are in any way brand things but rather model things. I don't shoot Nikon or Canon finding the ergonomics of both quite terrible.
I believe the tracking AF of both these brands outclass the brands I do use, (Pentax for DSLR, Panasonic for mirrorless) but the difference between major brands in minimal and changes as new models are released.
Using what is considered a relative minor brand for DSLR I find the range of lenses available is far greater than I'm likely to need, adding further to the range seems little advantage. It's my budget that limits my lens selection not the range available.

From what I've heard the best Canon has the edge on the best Nikon for AF speed, Nikon have the edge on high ISO, but that could easily have changed by now.
User friendliness (Menu systems etc) are often a matter of what you're used too, many of the budget CaNikon DSLRs I've come across at workshop sessions are awful in this respect, needing users to dive into menus to change basic settings. I assume the pro models must be better.

If there was a simple winner in your categories do you really think the debate would be continuing :)

Unless you put price points you'll essentially end up comparing the canon 1dx to the nikon d4s
Which is probably not your intention

Reactions: Ido
Unless you put price points you'll essentially end up comparing the canon 1dx to the nikon d4s
Which is probably not your intention
As well as the Nikon D810 and Canon 5DS R, I suppose.

As petrochemical mentioned a lot of it is personal preference.
I do not like canon ergonomics at all so I use nikon
The baby nikons you have to menu dive but it's completely different on d7x00 and higher
Add to that you can spend $10,000 on ONE lens if you specialize in wildlife but that doesn't mean you know how to use it, it's still up to the skill of the phitograpgher.

My question is what is the good and bad of each brand
Set up a spreadsheet listing each factor.

Perform a search of reviews that specifically addresses at least one of the factors.

Assign a numerical value (in a range) to each reviewer's conclusions.

Total each column of values.

When you have completed your spreadsheet, you should find the one that is "the best" or "the weakest".

1. Auto focus (how fast)
  5. Censor capability
  6. How user friendly
  8. Overall performance
  9. Durability
Any other points that you think we should consider. I am not very much interested on videos, but comments on same is welcome.

Regards,
Angshujit

1.AF-no real difference
2.DR-Nikon's sensors or may I say Sony's sensors Nikon is using (in most cases) has more dymanic range
3.Hi ISO performance-No real difference
4.Sharpness-Few of Nikon has no AA filter so that might help a bit but overall no real difference
6.Sensors-Again Sony's sensors has some advantage when it come to DR
7.Lenses quality-about same
8.Overall performance-about same
9.Durability-about same

I must say this is very general, too general.
To really compare you need to put one model vs another specific model.
As an example T5i vs D5500 the sensor on the D5500 will destroy the one on the T5i as this 18MP sensor is old and not up to the technology the D5500 brings.
On the other hand the T6S vs D5500 and you are looking at two very good capable cameras in its class.

1. Autofocus: Canon in the lead, Nikon right behind

2. Dynamic Range: Nikon

2.1. Color Depth (not Depth of Colors): Nikon

3. High ISO: Nikon (this all refers to noise, and since Nikon uses the great Sony sensors, while Canon insist on using their own sensors with relatively large structures, Canon stays behind)

4. Sharpness: Eh ? Not a property of the camera, except for Megapixels and AA-Filters. Right now Canon leads with the 5Ds.

5. Sensor Capability: Already covered above

6. Canon, apparently - especially one hand useability - but its also a matter of taste

7. World leading on both accounts. Tons of lenses, very few stinkers in between, in both cases. And the Zeiss Otus lenses (55mm, 85mm and probably soon 25mm) even can even hold their own against medium format lenses (and is available for both Canon and Nikon).

8. Overall performance: Both are usually very fluid and instant to work with. Depends upon the model, though. Sometimes the image review is somewhat slow, etc.

9. Durability: Depends upon model. The Canon 1D and Nikon D<n> series are very tough, but cheaper models are increasingly less so. Either way, you dont want a camera to fall, because lenses contain glas and that wont end well, ever.

Hi all,

This is a very old conflict - Nikon or Canon. People normally love and recommend the brand that he/she is currently using. So I am not asking which is a good brand. My question is what is the good and bad of each brand (of course we cannot compare a basic DSLR of a brand with a Pro DSLR of other). I have seen many comments on this. But felt that those are bit biased (may be not a good word but anyway). So we need a very open minded comments. We may consider following points
  1. Auto focus (how fast)
  5. Censor capability
  6. How user friendly
  8. Overall performance
  9. Durability

Regards,
Angshujit

10 . Can they fire a full spread of photon torpidos

Canon users are all attractive young woman and handsome men, Nikon users tend to be the more "cellphone on belt" crowd.

Canon users are all attractive young woman and handsome men, Nikon users tend to be the more "cellphone on belt" crowd.

No they don't

1. The best way to choose between Canon and Nikon is to imagine that you have got a voucher that expires in 30 seconds, so you need to make this decision NOW. Otherwise you will get nothing. 9 times out of 10 you will come up with a clear answer.

2. If not, go to the shop, try both cameras and then imagine a 30 sec voucher. Again, 9 times out of 10 you will make a decision.

3. If not, then buy Pentax.

Most reactions

Back