Canon vs Nikon (Lenses; not a debate just comparison)

prodigy2k7

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I dont want to start up a debate. I am just wondering on the differences between the mounts and focusing.

Most (except less common lenses such as tilt shift) Canon lenses are either EF or EF-S right?

Canon EF fits, if im not mistaken, all current production body mounts.

So, i dont know much about "focusing motors" is there one in the body and one in the lens? or what? I have the XTi, I can auto focus any current canon ef lens right?

When it comes to nikon isnt there a few bodies, lets say D40, that cant auto focus on some lenses?

I dont use Nikon so im a little confused.... Do all Canon DSLRs have auto focusing?

All Canon DSLRS auto focus. All Canon cameras have ever since the EOS film line was introduced.

However, an in-lens motor makes focusing quieter and faster. Canon offers this with their USM line, and Nikon has AF-S. The D40 and a couple others can't AF with anything but AF-S because there is no motor in body.

And Canon t/s lenses are EF mount also.

All Canon DSLRS auto focus. All Canon cameras have ever since the EOS film line was introduced.

However, an in-lens motor makes focusing quieter and faster. Canon offers this with their USM line, and Nikon has AF-S. The D40 and a couple others can't AF with anything but AF-S because there is no motor in body.

And Canon t/s lenses are EF mount also.

Oh, I get it, thanks :)

However, an in-lens motor makes focusing quieter and faster. Canon offers this with their USM line
Just to clarify, all Canon (EF & EF-S) lenses have the focus motor in the lens. There are three types that I can name. The first is just a regular geared motor, not all that fast and sort of loud. This is on the cheapest lenses. The next is ordinary USM, it's faster and quieter. This is usually found on mid level or low level lenses, the 75-300mm III USM for example.
The third and best type is USM 'ring' motor. This is what they put on the top end lenses. It's fast and practically silent. You can also manually focus the lens without having to flip the switch (Full time manual).

Nikon put their AF motor in the body because they did not change their mount in the 80s like Canon did. This means that Nikon cameras can use lenses that were made for their older manual focus SLR bodies. Canon decided to put the AF motor in the lens and they had to change the mount as well. This meant that people with a lot of Canon gear, prior to 1988, were SOL when it came to upgrading to the new AF system.

Canon suffered then, and Nikon is suffering a little now...with their entry level bodies with no AF motor. Although, Nikon is doing a lot of other good things at the moment.

Yeah Nikon is making more AF-S lenses for the D40/60 crowd. Basically it was done to attract alot of P&S people into the Dslr world.

Its working, lots of D40 threads starting up :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back