Canon vs. Nikon?

When I was buying my first camera I did a bit of shopping around my city in and out of a few different stores and the one thing that they ALL were telling me, " BUY NIKON " you will thank us later down the road. This was what every store was telling me for different reasons.

When I was buying my first camera I did a bit of shopping around my city in and out of a few different stores and the one thing that they ALL were telling me, " BUY NIKON " you will thank us later down the road. This was what every store was telling me for different reasons.
It's definitely a regional thing in my experience. Around here, the vast majority of photogs seem to be using Canon.

It totally depends on the bias of the sales person too.

Best Buy: You don't get a serious answer to your questions because the kids working there have never used 99% of their product.

Calumet: One sales person will say "get a 5DMk2 because it produces better images right out of the camera and is easier to use" and another will say "get the D700 because it produces better images right out of the camera and has superior AF for action".

Samy's Camera: The only sales guy I spoke to there was HUGE into Canon. I asked about the D700, and he said it's a great camera but he would take a 5DMk2 or a 1DS over anything Nikon offered.

So, it's really a matter of bias by your sales person.

I've found absolutely no shortage of people using both types of gear, but I tend to see more white lenses at various events than I do black ones in my neck of the woods. Elsewhere I'm sure things are very different.

As you all know white stands out more than black against dark shadows. so lets take this pic

152386454_fa67e5da89.jpg

and highlight the black lenses in red, and white ones in yellow.

3426022349_192f2ab464.jpg

Doesent give you the impression as the original one does it?

So now your asking, so whats your point? my point is this! nothing! I'm bored and its to cold to go take pictures hahahaha.

with a quick look I already see you marked two white lenses as black, the ones on the very top. And also you marked one black lens as two :p

Doesent give you the impression as the original one does it?

So now your asking, so whats your point? my point is this! nothing! I'm bored and its to cold to go take pictures hahahaha.
I think you missed the point completely. The point was that white lenses are present, not that they were the only ones present.

That had to have been a fun, albeit pointless, exercise with all the dots. :D

I think you missed the point completely. The point was that white lenses are present, not that they were the only ones present.

That had to have been a fun, albeit pointless, exercise with all the dots. :D

Well of course there are canons present! why would we need a picture to tell us that. The dots where kind of pointless, would of been easier to post a picture like this http://web500.us/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/canon-nikon.jpg

dont get all up tight guys, I just like messing with people in threads like this one :p

While there is actually a good reason for the white lenses (heat dissipation) painting the tele-lenses had to be about the most brilliant marketing strategy in photography.

as a photo instructor i am sad to hear that someone is taking that stand.

I happen to use nikon , so of course i understand that camera better than say a canon; however, that doesn't mean that the student should be provided with less information, or discouraged from taking a class because they are using a different brand.

an fstop is an fstop, etc. regardless of the camera name.

there are too many instructors out there who give us all a bad name, but i suppose that is true for many things.

I'm still waiting for the OP to answer some questions.....He stated that he had a Canon, which could be this one:

Canon PowerShot A470 digital camera

then he states that the instructor says he might not want to take the course because he is not using top line equipment. If he was using the linked Canon above then the instructor would be RIGHT.

Why does this have to devolve into Canon vs Nikon when it sounds to me the OP tried to take an advanced photo class with a bottom of the line camera?

Allan

PS. I have shot with both, both are great, both will work in a classroom equally well, I despise white lenses.

i feel like most sports photographers on the sidelines at football games etc. use canons.
any truth to this? any reason a canon *might* be considered better for action photography?

In the late 1980s, both brands brought out autofocus cameras. Because Canon was, at the time, firmly in second place to Nikon, they felt safe ditching their old mount (FD) and replacing it with an entirely new all-electronic mount system (EF), which was better suited to to communicating autofocus information to the lenses, and in many ways is an ideal mount-- which makes sense because it was designed after having had time to study all of the other companies' mounts and their own older model as well. At the same time, Canon lenses handled all of the focusing in the lens.

Nikon, on the other hand, had such a large professional user base that their autofocus cameras had to be compatible with older manual lenses, tying them to the F mount and meaning that they built their autofocus around the camera bodies, which is essentially an inferior system.

In the early 90s, sports photographers quickly realized that Canon had a substantial advantage in AF speed. It was during this time that journalists and sports photographers began a mass migration to Canon. Then, in the early '00s, Canon had a clear lead in sports camera digital bodies (1D vs. D1h was no contest, for example). The result was that most people who rely upon fast AF had switched to Canon by the mid '00s.

The latest generation of Nikon bodies and lenses have finally closed this gap, which is why we're starting to see more parity in cameras used on the sidelines-- indeed, the 1D mark III AF debacle combined with the release of the D3 was a major force in that change.

i feel like most sports photographers on the sidelines at football games etc. use canons.
any truth to this? any reason a canon *might* be considered better for action photography?
That was probably true....until Nikon released the D3. ISO 25,600 and 9 fps pretty much blew Canon out of the water. A lot, and I mean a lot, of Canon sports shooters jumped to Nikon for that kind of ISO and frame rate.

As far as the OP's observation, the camera brand has less to do with the quality of an image than does the technical skill and artistry the photographer brings to the equation.

That said, if you follow Canon and Nikon equipment forums it doesn't take long to see Canon owners endure more problems with their camera bodies than do Nikon owners.

A case in point. A few weeks ago my friend Wilson Marshall finally got the shiny new Canon 5D Mk II he'd been waiting for. Once the battery got charged he put it in and fired that puppy up. A look through the viewfinder to compose his first shot, press the shutter realeas and.........nothing. Error code: dead shutter.

For fun: Do a search for Canon Error 99.

You may have guessed by now. I use Nikon gear. ;)

That was probably true....until Nikon released the D3. ISO 25,600 and 9 fps pretty much blew Canon out of the water. A lot, and I mean a lot, of Canon sports shooters jumped to Nikon for that kind of ISO and frame rate.

As far as the OP's observation, the camera brand has less to do with the quality of an image than does the technical skill and artistry the photographer brings to the equation.

That said, if you follow Canon and Nikon equipment forums it doesn't take long to see Canon owners endure more problems with their camera bodies than do Nikon owners.

A case in point. A few weeks ago my friend Wilson Marshall finally got the shiny new Canon 5D Mk II he'd been waiting for. Once the battery got charged he put it in and fired that puppy up. A look through the viewfinder to compose his first shot, press the shutter realeas and.........nothing. Error code: dead shutter.

For fun: Do a search for Canon Error 99.

You may have guessed by now. I use Nikon gear. ;)

The 1D mark III is a 10 frame per second body. The reason people switched was pretty much the ISO and for some concerns over the screwy AF in the 1D3. Beyond that, people have just as many problems with their Nikons as people have problems with Canons. Both companies make high quality products that perform to a high standard.

What I have seen is that Nikon users tend to have a much more fanatical opinion about the issue, perhaps from years of photogs switching to Canon?

(one of the oddest things I've seen was a lengthy page from a D2x user blasting full frame and going on and on about how DX format was a superior system. You could see these claims all over the place, until Nikon came out with a full frame camera and all of a sudden everyone's opinion changed).

Most reactions

Back