Canon vs. Tanron vs. Sigma

kpixels

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I was checking out the Tamron 28-75...why is it so much cheaper than the canon 24-70, apart from the brand name? And then...

The Canon 24-70 is about 1300 on Amazon, the Sigma version is a couple hundred less...is it worth getting the Canon?

I hadn't even thought about going for another brand other than Canon, simply because I am clueless as to the quality of them...but if they dont have many differences, and are respected as good lenses, when why wouldnt I but one of the other brands instead?

FYI...i need a lens for photojournalistic portraits and wedding photography for my T1i.

Oops typo on my title...TaMron

Canon 24-70L isn't worth what they're asking for - Sigma is at least as good and much cheaper. Tamron optically is similar to Sigma, but mechanics are poor and it's 28 on the wide end - on crop, 24mm makes the huge difference to me. It's like 36mm vs 42mm on full frame.

Tamron Lens Review | 100% Uncensored and Unbiased if you use it for a crop sensor like a T1i, it is probably pretty good. If you ever upgrade to a full frame, it wont perform as well as the 24-70L because you have more vignetting on the side due to the smaller diameter of the lens.

Thanks for the link! I was reading a couple of the specs on different ones, and came across the 17-50mm VC....might have to add that to my list of potentials!

Canon 24-70L isn't worth what they're asking for - Sigma is at least as good and much cheaper. Tamron optically is similar to Sigma...

There are indeed Sigma lenses that are comparable with the Canon version (i'm on record as saying my Sigma 300 2.8 is as good as the equivalent Canon) however the 24-70 isn't one of them. For me, if the only difference is a couple of hundred $$ then i'd struggle not to go with the Canon. As for Tamron being equal to Sigma optically i've got to disagree, majorly.

Most reactions

Back