canon vs yongnuo 600ext

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by chrisbattista, Feb 15, 2018.

1. chrisbattista

chrisbattista TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    long story short, i used to shoot with a partner, but we don't work together anymore. we purchased and used 2 canon 600ext flashes. i see yongnuo 600ext looks like the same damn thing right down to the model number... i can get 2 YN600ext with transmitter, stands, soft boxes and gels cheaper than 1 canon600ext flash...

am I going to be just as happy with the YN or will i regret not going back to Canon? my biggest worry is that they won't provide the same intensity or even worse batter life..

2. kalgra

kalgra TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I own both and to be honest I don't notice any difference in output or performance. Thats the good.
    The bad is that the build quality is not as good as Canon.

The battery doors on YN break easily if you are not careful and ultimately I just don't think the YN units would last half as long especially under heavy use wear and tear. That said you could literally buy 5 of the YN units for almost the same price as 1 Cannon so who cares if they don't last as long. Id be willing to bet that 2 or three would easily last as long as a single canon and now you have 1 or 2 extra speed lights to use as a kicker or fill.

For me the important thing is that they function well and reliably and I can say that I have 4 YN flashes and I've never had an issue with any of them. That said I'm not a pro and I don't use them all the time and I definitely don't use them in harsh conditions or bang them around a lot.

On a side note I use enloop rechargeable batteries and they seem to last the same regardless of which brand I'm using. Maybe there is a difference but if so its not enough that I have ever noticed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Well, for half the cost of camera-maker flashes, or even less than half, many people like the Yongnuo flashes. In some cases, yes, the Yongnuo flashes _are lower powered_ than same-category camera-maker flash units. Is this an issue? For some people, yes, for others,no. "It depends". Camera-maker flashes (Canon and Nikon in my case) that I have bought have been extremely reliable, solid, and powerful, but the prices were decidedly NOT cheap. The features however, were perfectly, 100% compatible with my Canon and Nikon d-slr cameras; such is not always the case with third-party flashes and advanced features.

I dunno..."it depends"...that's the best answer I can give you. if you've owned a Nikon SB-600 or SB-700 or SB-800 or a Canon 580 EX-II, you know what a solid, well-made, fully-powered-for-its-power-class flash unit is like. A cheaper-made, less-expensive, Made in China knockoff flash that's say, one full EV lower in power for its size/weight class, but is priced at $69 to $109, and not $389 or $429 or whatever, is what many consider a good value. But if you drop it once, and it conks out, is that the kind of flash unit you want to rely upon? Will the flash be backed up by another,spare, made in China knockoff flash unit?

Again...how satisfied you will be with a Yongnuo and not a genuine Canon-branded flash unit, well "it depends" on a number of factors.

4. ClickAddict

ClickAddict No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been using Yongnuo for years. I've had 1 fail out of 4. I shoot 2-3 times a month, 3-5 hours each time, I've had each flash "fall" at least once I'm sure from wind knocking down lightstands on beaches. (Minimal impact type falls) I'm careful with my equipment but they are not babied. If the price difference was about 80%, I'd say go with the Canon flashes, but for the savings, honestly, when my Canon's do end up dying, I'll be replacing with Yongnuo for sure. The fact they are much cheaper allows you to easily buy 1 (or 2) more than you think you need and have spare(s) handy at all times and still be under the budget you would have spent on Canons. This even gives you more lights to play with for tricky setups.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. SuzukiGS750EZ

SuzukiGS750EZ No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit

686ex-rt Canon

I have this flash and love kit, would definitely recommend it.