Canon Zoom Lens

nkmaurer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy another camera and a zoom lens.
I have been to camera shops and they seem to recommend the 30D. I am on somewhat of a budget and they told me that I should go with the 30D over spending more on the 5D. Obviously if I need to go with the 5D I would just wait more time to get it and save up. Right now I just have the Rebel XT and need another camera.

I am also wanting opinions on what zoom lens I should go with. I know it will probably cost more than the camera and that is ok. I am really needing it for weddings in poorly lit churches for up in the balcony. Maybe a little sports also. I really would like to get a nice lens and any opinions would be appreciated! Thanks in advanced!!

Noelle

Can you give us more info? 'Zoom lens' can mean just about anything.

For weddings (poorly lit churches), you will need fast lenses. That means zoom lenses with a maximum aperture of F2.8. If you are going with the 30D, then I'd suggest the Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS. If you are going with the 5D, then I'd suggest the EF 24-40 F2.8 L.

For either camera, I'd also suggest the EF 70-200 F2.8 L IS.

If cost is a concern, there are other options...but I don't know what your budget is.

I agree with Mikes comments.
Mike actually lives inside this forum in a little space by the server, that is why he answers so quickly.

His choice of the 30D and the Canon 70-200f2.8 has been my mainstay for most shooting.

We shoot horse events and do quite a bit of posed/portrait shooting also.

The above combination will provide you with the proper tools to get the job done.

You wil not suffer 'buyers remorse' as you would going the cheap route with lesser quality gear.

check out our galleries, a good percentage of the shots are with this combination of components.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back