Canon's "Live View" feature..thumbs up!

Actually... after a lot of recent reading, it occurs to me that "real" photographers don't use the Viewfinder, they use the Ground Glass on the back... which is like LiveView, just upside down and left-to-right... :)

:hail:
It is my dream to someday have an 8X10, something along the lines of a Deardorff, Linhof, or Toyo-View with some Schneider glass on the front. :drool::drool::drool:

I figure that about the time I figure out how to make gasoline out of plain old dirt for ten cents a gallon, I will have enough money to buy one. Until then, "To dream the impossible dream.....":D

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Hate to burst that ego bubble there, but a true professional knows their craft thoroughly, practices their craft to the fullest and uses any and all tools to their fullest to accomplish the job. They could care less how it looks to the uninformed, it is the end product, and only the end product that matters.

A pseudo professional tries to talk the talk, dresses the part, in their mind, and buys the props, but cannot walk the walk. A $2000.00 Brooks Brothers suit and a briefcase does not make you Robert Shapiro, F. Lee Bailey or Alan Dershowitz. It just make you a guy with a $2000.00 suit, a briefcase and a whole lot of nothing.
I'm pretty sure he's not serious, guys.

To the OP: What is the benefit of using Live View vs. the viewfinder for night photography?

as for your shots night being sharper now ... I suspect it might not be the
lifeview and it giving you the possibility to focus better manually...
but it might be the mirror-lockup which you do when you use life view.

with the typical exposures in the one second range, mirror-lockup is
crucial to use, and it helps me alot to get sharper images.

To the OP: What is the benefit of using Live View vs. the viewfinder for night photography?

Maybe it's just because I don't have amazing vision, but basically there are some situations when shooting night photography where the viewfinder doesn't cut it. Autofocus at night is pretty much a lost cause for most lenses, so I'll try to find details to manual focus on, but at focal lengths like 17mm, it's hard to tell if they're in focus or not. So I enable Live View, which lets me zoom in up to 10x magnification, then I carefully adjust MF until whatever detail I've zoomed up to is sharp. Then shoot. :)

Problem is, there are a lot of people in photography, and all walks of life, that have just that mentality.

All I have to say is...

I initially thought it might just be a nice-to-have. Turns out, with night photography, it's been a MUST for me. Being able to lift the mirror, see the image on the LCD, and THEN zoom way way in so I can manual focus to perfection.... is priceless. I've gotten some exceptional night shots on my main lens (Tamron). I'm sure if I had expensive L glass, I could get tack sharp night photos.

If anyone is on the market for a DSLR and is wondering about Live View.. now you have one person's opinion. ;)

I'm also curious, anyone else have any great uses for Live View besides night photography?

I use Live view in this same way for Macro on occasion. Since I already have the angled viewfinder attachment from pre-live view days I find myself using it most of the time still, but I may give the idea a try.

as for your shots night being sharper now ... I suspect it might not be the
lifeview and it giving you the possibility to focus better manually...
but it might be the mirror-lockup which you do when you use life view.

with the typical exposures in the one second range, mirror-lockup is
crucial to use, and it helps me alot to get sharper images.

Certainly mirror lockup helps a lot. But see my post above.. there are definitely scenarios where I just can't make out fine details enough (due to the low light) to get a good focus. Live View compensates for this.

Maybe it's just because I don't have amazing vision, but basically there are some situations when shooting night photography where the viewfinder doesn't cut it. Autofocus at night is pretty much a lost cause for most lenses, so I'll try to find details to manual focus on, but at focal lengths like 17mm, it's hard to tell if they're in focus or not. So I enable Live View, which lets me zoom in up to 10x magnification, then I carefully adjust MF until whatever detail I've zoomed up to is sharp. Then shoot. :)
I see. I didn't realize Live View had a magnification function. That's pretty cool.

two nights ago i was wishing I had live view when I could not focus for the life of me in the dark.

Most reactions

Back