canoscan9900f negative scanning

Reaction score
Hernando, Mississippi, south of Memphis Tennessee
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i don't know if anyone is familiar with this scanner, but they might all be similar.

it is a flatbed scanner with a 35mm film holder, 4 slots that hold a six frame strip of negatives.
When i do a preview it shows the entire scan area, then i just crop the individual frame i want to scan. I can change the size of the selection to scan, and when doing so it changes the color of the finished image.
So i can have two negatives, same lighting, exposure, etc. but depending on what area in each i choose to scan, the color will come out different in the final print.

I have the 8800f and it works perfectly for me. Sounds like something in your software isn't set up quite right, or you may be using it in a way not intended? Not sure how similar they are, but with mine, I use the software that came with it to choose what size negs I'm scanning, use the appropriate neg holder, and let 'er rip - no fuss, no muss.

Re the color changing, I've only used dedicated film scanners, but all scanners are applying some sort of algorithm to determine color balance, exposure, contrast, etc., etc. You always need to adjust these parameters to get good results. The color produced by the scanner when it is set up properly probably isn't going to be correct either. The biggest problem I used to have (shooting all digital now) was that some images which were low-key or mostly mid-tones came out looking really garish after scanning because the scanner software made the brightest area in the negative almost white and the darkest almost black, which is not always what you want. Colors sometimes ended up being really oversaturated.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back