Can't be without this:

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What thing (other than the obvious: camera) do you need with you when you go for a "typical" photo shoot or walk around? It's a "have to have" item.

For me... it's a "Crumpler, Four Million Dollar Bag". This little camera bag is small enough not to get in the way but big enough to carry a 70-200 2.8 and a flash while I have the camera and a short lens out.

If I forget this bag, like I did today <grrr>, I feel unprepared. I had to carry a second lens in the pocket of my hoodie I was wearing.

OP
dpolston

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
okay.. duh. I guess there are a lot of obvious things like film, cards, lenses and batteries.

(methinks, this is going to be an interesting thread)

Alpha

Troll Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I don't really get it. You go out just looking for something to shoot? What more do you need than a bag full of the basics?

OP
dpolston

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I probably need to clarify. I found a nature trail today (in the most unexpected place) and I wanted to explore it. I didn't want to take my Lowepro backpack (cause it weighs at least 40 pounds), So I grabbed my camera w/short lens and a long lens. No flash or extra batteries etc.

Just a walk around. So what thing do you need if you get down to basics for a spontaneous photo day. Wiping cloth for the lens? Business cards in case you meet someone? Bean-bag to rest the camera on?

That kind of "necessity.

I

Iron Flatline

I never bring more than a camera and a lens attached to it, plus a spare battery in my pocket. I use a 2 Gig memory card, and that's enough to last me a day.

This sounds kind of obvious, but good shoes.

LaFoto

Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
If it's supposed to be only just quick and easy and "done while walking", I sometimes think the Powershot is good enough (to often find me disappointed with it once I'm underway). On other occasions I decide it "is 50mm -day today", so I only bring the 350D with the 50mm lens on and nothing else, but that will certainly be the day when I get to see deer and sorely miss the Sigma lens (70-300mm) (!).

Most often I leave with my little photo backpack, though, which has all: even FILM! A spare battery. Spare cards. All the lenses. Speedlite.

What I THEN find I often miss A LOT when I go out is ... erm ... a bathroom! :oops:

Battou

TPF junkie!
Reaction score
Website
www.photo-lucidity.com
Photos NOT OK to edit
A hat (ballcap)

Sounds funny but it's true, I have issues seeing threw the viewfinder with out the visor setting on the hotshoe. Other than that I can make due with a a single lens on the body and film in the camera.

jols

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
mp3 player and my mobile phone

Wozza

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.nzgamer.com
Photos OK to edit
Lens cloth for sure. Whenever I don't have one, I need one. Apart from that I'll say a lens hood.

Los Angeles

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I can never bring myself to pair down my equipment. So I always bring everything. Makes for a strong back also

abraxas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Lens cloth and tissues in my wallet all-a-time. When I'm out in the desert (all-a-time) a canteen, multi-tool and a whistle.

sabbath999

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
A polarizing filter. If you need it, you NEED it. I ALWAYS keep one in a filter case in my pocket, even on a walk-around.

OP
dpolston

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
A polarizing filter. If you need it, you NEED it. I ALWAYS keep one in a filter case in my pocket, even on a walk-around.

That is so funny that you mentioned that. I NEEDED on this morning and didn't have one!

Most reactions

ClickASnap