Can't be without this:

dpolston

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What thing (other than the obvious: camera) do you need with you when you go for a "typical" photo shoot or walk around? It's a "have to have" item.

For me... it's a "Crumpler, Four Million Dollar Bag". This little camera bag is small enough not to get in the way but big enough to carry a 70-200 2.8 and a flash while I have the camera and a short lens out.

If I forget this bag, like I did today <grrr>, I feel unprepared. I had to carry a second lens in the pocket of my hoodie I was wearing.

okay.. duh. I guess there are a lot of obvious things like film, cards, lenses and batteries.

(methinks, this is going to be an interesting thread)

I don't really get it. You go out just looking for something to shoot? What more do you need than a bag full of the basics?

I probably need to clarify. I found a nature trail today (in the most unexpected place) and I wanted to explore it. I didn't want to take my Lowepro backpack (cause it weighs at least 40 pounds), So I grabbed my camera w/short lens and a long lens. No flash or extra batteries etc.

Just a walk around. So what thing do you need if you get down to basics for a spontaneous photo day. Wiping cloth for the lens? Business cards in case you meet someone? Bean-bag to rest the camera on?

That kind of "necessity.

I never bring more than a camera and a lens attached to it, plus a spare battery in my pocket. I use a 2 Gig memory card, and that's enough to last me a day.

This sounds kind of obvious, but good shoes.

If it's supposed to be only just quick and easy and "done while walking", I sometimes think the Powershot is good enough (to often find me disappointed with it once I'm underway). On other occasions I decide it "is 50mm -day today", so I only bring the 350D with the 50mm lens on and nothing else, but that will certainly be the day when I get to see deer and sorely miss the Sigma lens (70-300mm) (!).

Most often I leave with my little photo backpack, though, which has all: even FILM! A spare battery. Spare cards. All the lenses. Speedlite.

What I THEN find I often miss A LOT when I go out is ... erm ... a bathroom! :oops:

A hat (ballcap)

Sounds funny but it's true, I have issues seeing threw the viewfinder with out the visor setting on the hotshoe. Other than that I can make due with a a single lens on the body and film in the camera.

mp3 player and my mobile phone

Lens cloth for sure. Whenever I don't have one, I need one. Apart from that I'll say a lens hood.

I can never bring myself to pair down my equipment. So I always bring everything. Makes for a strong back also

Lens cloth and tissues in my wallet all-a-time. When I'm out in the desert (all-a-time) a canteen, multi-tool and a whistle.

A polarizing filter. If you need it, you NEED it. I ALWAYS keep one in a filter case in my pocket, even on a walk-around.

A polarizing filter. If you need it, you NEED it. I ALWAYS keep one in a filter case in my pocket, even on a walk-around.

That is so funny that you mentioned that. I NEEDED on this morning and didn't have one!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back