Can't figure out how to attach my lense hood

tr0gd0o0r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought some lens hoods for my pentax 28-80 and 100-300 zooms. Upon receiving the hoods they seem like they are just a bit too big. After some closer inspection, i realized that the lens hoods are made for the FA-J lenses and i've got FA lenses. Seems like a pretty small difference to me, but is it enough to mean just bought myself some fancy cup holders?

yeah, i did a little research after the post and found the difference, the j series doesn't have the aperture ring. But the lens is only 50 bucks, im think about buying one cuz i've dropped my current lens several times and its not so smooth anymore

Are you sure your hoods are for the right lenses? Both FA and FA-J incarnations of your lenses use 58mm filter sizes so there should be no problem with fit. Are they dedicated (ie. made for your specific lenses) Pentax hoods?

Dave

They are both dedicated lens hoods, and they are both 58mm filter size, but the hood for the FA-J doesn't attach to the filter. I attaches to some weird things that poke out from the end of the lens. MY FA doesn't have that. And I think the outer plastic of the FA-J may be a little larger.

Has anyone else ever had this problem and fixed it w/ tape? Anyone think that solution willl work?

The FA-J lenses use a bayonet mount for the hood, I don't think the FA lenses do. And if they do, they are a different diameter between the two series of lenses, which is the problem here.

Tape will hold it on. It won't look very good & will be subject to bumping etc., but it'll work.

Tape will hold it on. It won't look very good & will be subject to bumping etc., but it'll work.

Will the trade off between hassle of getting bumped and quality gained by a lens hood be worth it? or is this pretty much a personal choice type of issue

If you can use a hood, use a hood. Anything that keeps stray light off the front of the lens is beneficial to image quality.

Most reactions

Back