Can't figure out remote flash using manual mode

sovietdoc

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have a D850 with the Nikon's wireless transmitter, and a SB-5000 flash. I cannot figure out how to use the flash over radio, and at the same time shoot in the manual mode, where I can specify the flash power.

Everything is working fine in remote TTL mode, but when I switch my flash from my camera from TTL to the manual mode, I don't see how to set the flash power. All I get on the flash unit and on the camera screen is ev adjustment.

I want to be able to use flash remotely and shoot using flash power adjustments.

I gave up on doing the adjustments remotely. If I need to cut down the amount of flash I either tell my assistant to adjust with either a thumbs up or thumbs down, or I close the aperture a bit.

I am not familiar with the Nikon wireless system. What I use is a Godox TT600 manual flashes with build-in radio receiver and a Godox X1T-C Transmitter. And I can dial each flash power remotely from the transmitter mounted on the camera hot shoe.

When I use the old Vivitar 285 flashes, I need to go to each of them to change it. It is even worst with my Apollo softbox where the flash is inside the softbox :(

Thanks, I was trying to see if there was a way to quickly adjust flash power from either the camera or the flash itself, when in remote group manual mode. Looks like the only way right now is to go into flash group in the camera and adjust it there. But it's so many button presses away. I was looking for a quicker way.

Well if your main problem is the number of button presses needed to get to the "Group flash options" menu then why not add that item to your "My menu". You can also set up the Fn2 button to take you to "My menu" or better yet to go directly into the top item of that menu. If you make "Group flash options" the first item in "My menu" pushing the Fn2 button will take you straight into the flash group control menu.

Most reactions

Back