Can't get this picture/subject right...Help please.

elsapo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.teamwetdog.com
I keep trying to shoot the fountain in Dupont Circle, and I keep coming up short of what I want. I like the feel of nighttime, long exposures. I like the human aspect - people moving around, blurred, adding some life to an otherwise inanimate object. But both times have come up short.

I like the feel of the black and white image, and that you can see more of it. I also like the colors in the second image, though I question the composition. Maybe I need to move back and reshoot - intending for an image similar to the top one, but with more human elements and motion?

I'm open to suggestions. I do like both images, but I feel like something is missing. Also, I think the fountain is now turned on for the summer. This could be good or bad, but there's something about a dry fountain that has a lot of emotion.

dupontweb.jpg

...and...

dupont-bw.jpg

Robert Walton
www.TeamWetDog.com

I like the feel of the color image. The over exposed street lights are really distracting, however. I'm also not crazy about the tilt, but that's just a personal preference.

Could you reshoot near dusk, right before the street lights come one? You could then get you long exposure, the movement and other human elements without the blinding white spots.

Good Luck!

ok... so I think that the second on is almost really good. The only thing that annoys me a bit is that the fountain is too close to the bottom of the picture. I'd just leave a bit more of the "pool" and water below... and of course the people there... get rid of them :) shout at them or kindly ask if they will.. remove themselves from your picture :)

I am not a fan of central composition as you used it in the first picture and that's whys omething is wrong for me.

mentos_007 said:
ok... so I think that the second on is almost really good. The only thing that annoys me a bit is that the fountain is too close to the bottom of the picture. I'd just leave a bit more of the "pool" and water below... and of course the people there... get rid of them :) shout at them or kindly ask if they will.. remove themselves from your picture :)

I am not a fan of central composition as you used it in the first picture and that's whys omething is wrong for me.

But I want the people -- I guess that's the problem, it's just not gelling yet. I want the people and the life, otherwise it's just a fountain. I think I need to move back a little. I like my angle-distance on the first one, actually.

I also kinda question the positioning in the second image. But I think you have the right idea in not taking the picture perfectly straight. Maybe just a little less angled. I see you wanted the people. Problem is, the image is very majestic, and them in their plain clothing kind of ruin the effect. But without them it isnt just a fountain. You still have the lights working for you, and the water.
The first image has a different mood entirely. It's almost haunting. Like something you would see ont he cover of a horror movie. I like it alot. And the composition is done very well. Good Job

Everyone is focusing on the second image when I can't get over the first. I love what you have done with it. The image has good symetry and the lighting works very well for me. I love the detail you were able to capture here and the composition is amazing. The second shot doesnt speak to me as much. I would reshoot it and even out the shot, level it like the first one. Secondly try to capture not only the people but also the water detail. Get low and close to the water. That would work nicely IMO.

elsapo, i agree that these images aren't *quite* coming together yet, but i can see why you keep coming back to the subject. (i'm having the same problem with the brooklyn bridge, i've been shooting it for years... but that's another tale.)

the first one really has potential, but the lights are distracting. it's hard to tell that it's night, it almost just looks like an overcast day. perhaps vertical composition would help? to me, it seems there is too much negative space, distracting the eye from the subject.

the second one is very eye-catching. i love the angle, the off-centeredness, the colors reflected in the water, the lights... but i would like the blue-shirt guy on the left cropped out. the people in the background do add some life, as i believe you intended, but the one guy in the front has too much detail, and is therefore distracting.

and lastly, i like the idea of the two "sides" of this fountain. first, it seems a lonely, forgotten place, hard, and haunting... then, an evening hotspot. like when a drab person puts on a sparkly suit to go out dancing.

bike rode through there the other evening...i love this fountain, but have never shot it.

i think you captured a fine image in #1. IMO, the distorted look of the fountain...coupled with the well placed human element and overall high key treatment, creates a very thought provoking image. the keystone effect also emphasizes the fountains size...which adds to the scene. if i were to nik-pik, i would not have cropped the top and bottom so tight.

I think that you're really close with #1. I like the absence of water, and the b&w. It's very moody. You need just slightly more detail in the trees and sky, and have the highlights less blown. Otherwise, I really like it.

#2 is much less interesting to me...

Were you using any sort of ND filter such as a polarizer? It often critical to use when shooting falling water.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back