can't make a decision: nikon lenses

holga girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay, so i have been shooting film (f100/n90s with an sb24, 24-120 and 70-210 3.5-5.6)) semiprofessionally for about 7-8 years or so. I say semi because i always assisted and only booked 3 weddings for myself in that time (by choice). anyway, i have finally decided to take the digital plunge (using my film equip for back up) and start marketing myself for weddings. i already have 2 booked through friends for october and one in the works.

i am currently employed at a photo store and therefore i can purchase my equipment directly through nikon (40% off MSRP). i have a start up budget of around $2300 (us).

anyway, here is my question..... i plan to purchase the d200. sb600 and 60mm micro and possibly the 50mm 1.8. but i can not decide on the lens combo. with the above equipment i have about $650-750 left to spend on lenses. (keep in mind this is my 'starter' stuff, and will eventually become my back up equipment)

i keep tossing back and forth. originally i was going to just get the 18-135 and the 70-300vr variable aperture, use them for now, and then use them as back up/walk around lenses in a year or so when i can afford the higher end stuff.

then i wondered if i should just get the 18-70mm and hold off on the tele until i can save up more money. some people from work suggest i go with the 18-200 (which i do not think i can buy from nikon) and call it a day. i think it would make a great walk around lens, but i am not sure if i like the idea of using it for weddings.

so any thoughts? i have been so used to shooting with my 24-120 (which i love and have rarely needed more) that i am having trouble making a decision. i don't want to sacrifice too much quality, which makes me reluctant to buy the lower end stuff, but i also keep reminding myself that one day i will be able to afford the better stuff and may be happy to have smaller/lighter stuff for everyday use and as back up.

whew, that was long. thanks for reading and any responses.

I have the D80 and it came with the 18-135 lens and I've been completely satisfied with it. I was talking to the sales person at the camera store today about the 18-200 and if it was worthwhile to get one and he said that there are disadvantages (in his opinion) with that lens both on the 18mm end and 200 end and to stick with the 18-135. In between, he said the quality is great.

I'm just diving into photography head first over the past 6 months or so, so my knowledge is next to nothing, just passing on my conversation with him.

Whatever you do don't listen to your co-workers unless they shoot weddings of course but still don't lsiten to them in the 18-200. Ritz camera employees generally either don't have a clue or are really smart I think the guys that are telling you to buy the 18-200 for weddings fit into the first category. Honestly unless you are going to use it for something non-wedding I would hold off on buying the 60mm macro that should save you a few bucks. This might push you over the top in cash to be abe to buy the 70-200VR 2.8 (remember it is only $1100 with you discount I bought one that way) combine that with your 50 amd did you say you have the 24-120 this would be a great starter package to shoot weddings with. One more thing you really ought to consider the SB-800 instead of the 600. One reason is you have the extra battery this is not much but it is a little extra battery life and this is critical shooting weddings also, you have the ability to add an external battery pack wich would be a great help in the future with weddings.

Read this link for more information..The 18-200 is a SUPER lens for weddings. I had one stolen and had to fall back on my Nikon 24-120 AF/S VR, which is a great lens on its on. Not the fastest in the west but still does an excellent job for me..Heres the link on the 18-200 and a good fisheye is always a hit at weddings.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200.htm

Most reactions

New Topics

Back