Canvasback in Flight

Aloicious

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographywild.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So just sorting through some old images, found this in my stack of eagles from last February, I was so focused on processing the eagles that these guys never got a shot until now. Just a flyby of a male and 2 female canvasbacks.

Canvasback_zps8ab3c3a4.jpg

Thanks! other than the 'blah' sky behind them, I thought they turned out fairly well, all the faces in pretty good focus and the shutter speed showing the wing movement...

Aloicious,

Hope you don't mind some noob questions. I'm just starting out and would like to some day have the skills and equipment to take wildlife photos like this. What kind of lens did you use for this shot? And what were your camera settings? Thanks!

Aloicious,

Hope you don't mind some noob questions. I'm just starting out and would like to some day have the skills and equipment to take wildlife photos like this. What kind of lens did you use for this shot? And what were your camera settings? Thanks!

yeah no problem, feel free to ask away, most of us in the wildlife section here are pretty open to helping new folks...

this specific image was shot with a 300mm f2.8 VR1 lens with a 1.7x telecoverter on it (so it becomes a 500mm f4.5 lens), and this was on a D800 body, handheld...

the image settings for this shot were as follows:

Manual mode, f8, 1/1000s, +0.3EV, ISO 110 (using auto ISO with a range of 100-2000 IIRC), spot metering, auto white balance.

hope that helps, feel free to ask any other questions if you have them.

Thanks! That's really helpful. I don't have a DSLR yet (stuck overseas currently), and I'm trying to shorten the learning curve and get a reasonable understanding of the limitations of different lenses, and what kind of settings need to be used to get the kind of shots that appeal to me (this is one of them).

Most reactions

Back