cap fall off

Kinz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Now for the next question....When I use my thin Cir-Polarizer, which I bought because of the vignetting, it isn't thick enough to use a snap-on cap. The filter came with a rubber cap, but it falls off a lot. Is there any type of thing -- elastic, clip....that will hold the cap on? I know this seems trivial, but I don't want the filter scratched, and it's getting old worrying about and checking to see if the cap is on or off. Thanks.

Maybe try heating up the rubber cap and bending it a little bit so that it forms a little tighter. I've seen people do this with plastic lens hoods.

I thought about that, but it's a flexible cap so I'm not sure how good it would keep the shape...or even if it would get to a shape that would stay. It's very rubbery/flexible now.

Get yourself a "pinch" cap. It fits inside the threads, so you buy them based on the filter size. I have them on all my lenses....It's about the only way to get a cap on and off with a hood on, aside from removing the hood everytime you want to take the cap off, plus they are pretty secure.

Google "Nikon pinch cap"

That's the problem, there are no threads. The filter is a thin polarizer to use with a 18-50mm lens. I was having vignetting problems so I got this filter and it has no threads on the other side; the glass is right at the edge.

That's the problem, there are no threads. The filter is a thin polarizer to use with a 18-50mm lens. I was having vignetting problems so I got this filter and it has no threads on the other side; the glass is right at the edge.

OOPs...didn't realize that. I have a thin polarizer that does have front threads....sorry 'bout that. I thought you were describing a cap that fit around the outside, so now I see your quandary.

I am sure I have seen sock like lenscaps - which have a sock like section which fits over the front of the lens and then a cap at the end.
that might be more suited to covering your setup, but I have no brand or name to search with for a result - sorry

I am sure I have seen sock like lenscaps - which have a sock like section which fits over the front of the lens and then a cap at the end.
that might be more suited to covering your setup, but I have no brand or name to search with for a result - sorry

That's similar to what is on my 500mm....don't know why I didn't think of that....:blushing:

I'm just batting 1.000 today........

This doesn't help your problem but for others who may be considering buying a polarizer, I bought one that was oversize for my wide angle lens, the lens has a 55mm thread, I bought a 62mm filter and an adapter ring. Part of the reason was that my largest lens needed a 62mm filter and I didn't want to buy more than one polarizer, but it does also solve vignetting problems.

The lens hood! That's exactly what I was thinking about. I figured something like this had to be made. Thanks a million.

Most reactions

Back