Capital Building at 2am

therustytracks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was standing in the middle of the road with my tripod fully extended at 2am it was really cold but fun.

IMG_7218.jpg

Is it just me, or is the shot a bit tilted? The light on the left that is out really throws off any symmetry in the shot too, for me at least. I think the exposure is good though. And there is little lens flare, a tough thing to accomplish in those conditions. I'm just curious, what aperture was this?

Yea it is a bit tilted. I didn't have enough time to get the tripod perfectly level. I was standing in the middle of the road, I barely got the shot. I don't have any image editing software at this point in time so i was unable to fix it. i believe the aperture was 4.5, shutter 0.5, and iso 400 with a focal length of 32.0mm.

Yea it is a bit tilted. I didn't have enough time to get the tripod perfectly level. I was standing in the middle of the road, I barely got the shot. I don't have any image editing software at this point in time so i was unable to fix it. i believe the aperture was 4.5, shutter 0.5, and iso 400 with a focal length of 32.0mm.

Just wondering, why wouldn't you use the lowest possible ISO if you were using a tripod? Is it 'cause you wanted to use a faster shutter speed as to not get hit by a car?

Yeah, I think also you may may been better off by using an ISO100 and since you have the 28-135mm lens and tripod, you may have been able to compose without having to stand in the middle of the road. But I wasn't there.

Each end of the building is missing in detail and the tower is overexposed. What did you meter your exposure on? I would hazard a guess that aperture should have been started at f/8 to f/11(?) maybe up to f/22. A smaller aperture may have reduced the lens flare. I could be Full of it as well. Maybe next time try using your lowest ISO and in the Av mode and set your aperture, let the camera figure out shutter speed.

Even with the little things in this shot, as mentioned above..ya still pulled of a really nice shot. I like what you were going for here. Well done

I'm with Chiller and like what you did at 2 a.m. in the COLD of the night! If aperture was at f4.5, then it was a bit wide, next time you do nighttime photography, you might want to choose a longer shutter speed and smaller aperture, but you would need to have your tripod on you then, of course. Oh, you did for this one, too? Good.

Just one thing: I don't think this is very much of a Nature photo, nor is it a Landscape. So I moved the thread to the General Gallery.

thanks for the advice, i really need it. I'm just starting, so i'm figuring things out as i go. I'll definitely use a smaller aperature next time and i guess an iso of 100-200.

I really like the picture. I also like taking nightshots like that. Specially when it's cold outside, and it's freezing your balls off :)

You can easily tilt it back to left with photoshop or something. ;-)

Good starlights, long shuttertime or small aperture?

Keep going

Most reactions

Back