Captain America Water Drops

Wanted to try one more thing before I move on to some portraits tomorrow and next week. In hindsight I wish I had done black trim and background but it is what it is. I also snapped a picture of my setup if it interests anyone.

1. $IMG_2869.jpg

2.$IMG_2862.jpg

3.$CAM28611.jpg

For what it's worth to the OP, I've been hanging out in this forum for a couple of years now. Derrel was on the scene when I first arrived. While I can't offer the OP any sound advice for his situation, I can lend my support to Derrel. From what I have seen over the years, Derrel has most always been professional, polite and helpful. He seems to have quite an indepth understanding of this whole photography thingy. Not to step on anyone's toes but to call Derrel an ass is probably uncalled for. He's only got nerarly 5000 "likes" under his belt...

Just saying... That's my $0.02.

This video might help some with the flash duration and such concepts:

sadly it doesn't go into too much detail on the effect of highspeed sync and action; however I have to second Derrels point that highspeed sync creates blur when used on high-speed subjects.

Last edited by a moderator:
That doesnt change the fact he is an ass. Yup.. Thats a good way to measure someones character, how many likes someone has. I do like the like system, to count it is silly I think.

Last edited:
Robin_Usagani said:
Here are a few I just did. Hand held, focus was all over the place, HSS, shutter was 1/2000 or faster. Unfortunately since this is handheld, I had to burst the shot so I had to lower the flash power so I can fire it consecutively. Because of that I had to bump up the ISO. If I had used a tripod and keep adjusting the focus, I can probably shoot it at lower ISO and get better timed shots. I have no idea what derrel is talking about.

View attachment 44292

Blurry. Not round. Shows motion blur, as I predicted it would.

View attachment 44293

Blurry. Sorry Robin, just as I predicted.

View attachment 44294

In your last picture you show us a nice stroboscopic effect, but it does not stop or freeze the motion...just as I said it would not. HSS is a series of very rapid flash micro-bursts, up to 199 flashes per second, according to the Canon website. You can see here that no motion has been "stopped", or frozen. Exactly as I stated. I can see 15 discrete background images here...this water is not frozen, as you stated it would be using HSS. It is rendered exactly as I predicted...a series of very,very rapidly-paced micro-flashes were emitted, turning this into over an inch-long rendering. "stroboscopic rendering"

Your personal attack in this thread Robin, with you calling me an ass,as well as your beginning of a new,separate thread with some calculations, but none of these blurred photos to support your calculations...weak sauce.

Your photos above proved that I was right, and you were incorrect. Sorry, but your very own photos demonstrate that your technical knowledge and understanding of Canon HSS flash is faulty.

HSS flash is sequential, micro-burst flashes that a fired over a relatively looooooong duration, in order to make the flash last for the entire duration the mechanical focal plane shutter is traversing the film plane.

What a person wants to do in trying to render high-speed motion utterly stopped, as in frozen, is to use a SINGLE, very brief-duration flash. This is normally accomplished by using AUTO-thyristor flash, fired at low fractional power, usually between 1/16 and 1/128 power, which fires a very short,duration flash of as brief as perhaps 1/64,000 second. Your first two, blurry images prove that I was correct, and you are not fully aware of how HSS actually works, in the real world.

I... cannot help one iota with the technical details, but just had to pop by to say I love the subject matter. (Teeny bit of a Marvel fanboy over here!)

Most reactions

Back